Assistant Director - Finance
To provide support to the Finance & Resources Director by producing all the Group’s statutory accounts, short, medium and long term budgets, 30 year cash forecasts and control of Capital Expenditure and Sales. To take responsibility for the day to day running of the Finance department and the integrity of all financial data and for the recovery of all the Organisation’s income and overseeing the production of the group’s various Management Accounts and all other financial information produced for external and internal purposes.
Statement of the main areas of responsibility
- To prepare the Organisation’s Statutory Accounts (including group accounts), Quarterly and Annual Supported Housing accounts, Leasehold scheme accounts, The Olinda Trust’s annual accounts, Domus Cambria’s monthly and statutory accounts and any related company accounts as required.
- To prepare the Organisation’s short term budget (one year) and medium term budget (three years). To assist the Finance & Resources Director in the production of the 30 year financial forecast.
- Oversee the production of the monthly Management Accounts and liaise with the Management Accountant to produce forecast income and expenditure for the remainder of the financial year. To prepare associated monthly cashflow.
- To deal directly with lenders concerning annual returns and any other documentation required, particularly in respect of charging properties as security for loan facilities in the Finance & Resources Director’s absence.
- To oversee the production of quarterly VAT returns and any other statutory returns as necessary.
- To maximise the income recovered and to minimise the outstanding rent arrears. To liaise with the AD Transformation and ICT Team to ensure the full utilisation of the IBS system for rents and finance.
8.To perform Company Secretarial duties in the absence of the Company Secretary due to status as Deputy Company Secretary. 9.To oversee the financial element of Scheme Appraisals for new development opportunities.
- To directly manage and support the Management Accountant, the Project Accountant and the Finance and Revenues Manager. To ensure all processes and procedures are up to date at all times and current versions are available for staff. To work closely with the Finance and Resources Director to plan future requirements within the Finance Department. To contribute to the effective performance of the Organisation as a member of the Senior Management Team. To ensure that the Organisation is able to comply with ever changing accounting regulations. Manage and guide the whole of the department through all audits. Attend as required and produce reports for the Landlord Services Board’s meetings. Oversee the financial data produced for benchmarking and global accounts purposes. Assist members of the Executive Team with various tasks as required. Undertake any other duties commensurate with the role
- Carry out the above with due regard to all the Association’s policies and procedures, including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Customer Services.
- Ensure that compliance with Data Protection legislation is applied at all times.
- Establish, develop and maintain an effective working relationship with all work colleagues to ensure an integrated contribution to the Association’s objectives.
- Comply with the Association’s Code of Conduct by behaving in a professional, respectful manner at all times.
Tools needed to do the job
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven staff management experience.
- Proven team worker.
- Experience of producing Statutory Accounts, Management Accounts, Budgets and Forecasts.
- Effective planning and organising skills ensuring that targets and deadlines are met.
- Ability to adapt positively to change and ability to adopt a flexible approach to the requirements of the job.
- Ability to motivate and work as part of team.
- Experience of presenting reports to senior management, both written and verbal.
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA, CIPFA, ACA, CIMA).
- An ability to hold basic conversations in Welsh although you may struggle to keep up fully. (This requirement is set at Level B1 in the ALTE model – Level 2 on self -assessment form – this is available on our website under Join Our Team).
- Previous RSL sector experience.
- Experience of using IBS system.
- Comfortable with everyday conversation/discussions specifically in relation to your job. Be confident to converse in Welsh when required. (For internal admin purposes, the requirement is set at Level B2 in the ALTE model – Level 3 on self-assessment form.
Personal attributes/behaviours which the role holder must possess to be successful in the role.
- You will want to provide the best service to your customers that you can, whilst being sensitive and consistent in your approach.
Achieving Quality Results
- You will be able to demonstrate that you do your work well and achieve the goals that you set for yourself and that are set by others. You will be committed to providing quality work and will have a desire to improve what you do.
- You will contribute to the best of your ability as part of any team. You will show commitment and respect at all times. You will consider the needs and expectations of others and will communicate as clearly and effectively as possible.