Creating communities to live, grow and flourish.
We believe that the pride and commitment of our staff are the key to our success. By ensuring exceptional levels of care and quality throughout, we aim to become the foremost provider of first-class affordable homes and to ensure the highest quality customer journey is experienced.
Focused on supporting the UK’s demographic and affordable living needs, and consistent with Legal & General’s housing growth strategy, Legal & General Affordable Homes is leading the evolution of the affordable housing sector with an aim to become the leading private affordable housing provider in the UK. Through collaborating with developers, housing associations and public sector bodies across the country, L&G Affordable Homes is forward-funding new build affordable housing, bringing volume institutional capital to the social housing sector with initial target markets being affordable rent, shared ownership and rent-to-buy.
The role holder will primarily be responsible for all aspects of deal evaluation and execution, including initial investment appraisal, financial analysis, co-ordination & review of due diligence, forming recommendations, reviewing transaction documentation as well as on-going portfolio financial evaluation. The post holder will undertake the following activities:
- To be an integral part of the financial analytics and investment team, working closely with development and operations colleagues to provide support and advice on their scheme & project appraisals.
- To ensure that the financial systems are tuned to the needs of the business and that they are administered properly.
- Lead and inform development team discussions on the optimum target affordable property types, locations and operations to ensure profitability and viability is maximised whilst risk is appropriately managed.
- Independently review appraisals for accuracy and consistency with financial and investment policies and assumptions. To give an opinion of accuracy before they are submitted to the relevant sign-off committee or other approving body.
- Research, portfolio and market analysis and presentation of key performance information both internally and to our external investment partners in order to drive well-informed and value-enhancing decisions.
- Support on acquisition bids, undertaking modelling, research and undertaking due diligence on property transactions.
- Undertake disciplined financial analysis, modelling and performance monitoring at the asset and sector level, reporting findings to the Head of FP&A and development and operations teams.
- Contribution to the formation/implementation of the investment strategy.
- Support the production of the Business plan and the regular updating analysis of the business financial model forecasts
- Test the reasonableness of all assumptions, analyses and forecasts used/created in Independent Financial Reviews (IFRs), rent, land appraisal and other strategic financial planning tools.
- Prepare returns for the regulators as required.
- Degree educated or equivalent
- Professional financial or real estate qualification e.g. ACA, CIMA, AMCT, CFA, RICS
- Strong academic background, with a numerical aptitude
- Excellent quantitative skills, including familiarity with DCF and cashflow modelling using excel and bespoke programmes
- Experience in the management, interrogation and scrutiny of models and their input assumptions and to developing recommendations for a senior audience
- Experience in project and model scrutiny and review, driven from an evidential basis
- Relevant work experience in real estate or infrastructure, preferably with a residential/ housing focus
- Strong written and verbal communication, familiarity with report writing for a variety of audiences
- Ability to assess and analyse investment opportunities from first principles, including risk and return profiles, and be able to build, operate and interrogate appropriate financial models from the ground up.
- Commercially astute and entrepreneurially minded; a drive to find solutions and striving to deliver better financial, development and service solutions.
- Strategic thinker – ability to think long term and understand the impact of external events on the determination and implementation of investment strategy
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Enthusiastic, self-starter