Senior Finance Officer
To assist the Senior Finance team in the preparation of monthly and annual accounts. Line manage the Finance Assistants team, ensuring that an effective, efficient and compliant service is provided at all times. Ensure the integrity of the purchase ledger, sales ledger, purchase ordering system, payroll, cashbook and rent accounts database is maintained. Ensure that all NWH staff are properly trained and supported to use Open Accounts.
Statement of the main areas of responsibility
- Line manage the Financial Accounting team, with responsibility for:
- Accounts Payable, Purchase Order reconciliation and nominal ledger coding
- Correct treatment of VAT
- Ensure standing orders are followed for delegated authorisation of invoices
- Accounts Receivable for the Sales Ledger
- Bank reconciliation including monitoring of bank charges and interest received
- Control account reconciliation
- Integrity of the rent accounting system including the posting of all income
- Correct and timely processing of the payroll and relevant forms
- Carry out Real Reviews with the Financial Accounting team, setting objectiveson an ongoing basis.
- Perform monthly checks on the payroll before it is authorised for payment. Overall responsibility over the payroll system to ensure that NWH staff are paid accurately and that all statutory obligations are met.
- Ensure that all new members of staff are appropriately trained on Open Accounts and provide staff with ongoing Open Accounts training especially following any changes to the system.
- Manage the Sales Ledger credit control. Liaise with Housing/Maintenance regarding unpaid rechargeable repairs & ensure diaries are up to date and carry out write offs of unrecoverable debt according to the association’s standing orders.
- Close down and reconcile the Finance System Ledgers on a monthly basis for the Association and subsidiary companies.
- Manage the interfaces between the Housing and Finance databases, ensuring all rental and repairs transactions are brought through the open link correctly.
- Manage financial control accounts for certification process, liaising with the maintenance team as required.
- Manage purchase orders to ensure commitments are relevant and accurate for budget management purposes
- Ensure that the association’s financial systems are robust and fully documented and full audit trails and controls are in place and maintained.
- Assist the Assistant Director Finance with year-end account preparation and audit. Ensure the integrity of cash handling, investigate any discrepancies and monitor balances of cash on premises. Manage various reconciliations, ensuring that the standing orders are followed.
- Manage the Association’s Buildings & liability Insurance claims. Liaise with and coordinate other departments to ensure a satisfactory outcome is achieved.
- Reconcile Insurance accounts on a monthly basis. Reconcile & administer Warden Call grant income for both local authorities.
- Deal with various VAT queries as they arise and issue VAT certificates when necessary. Any other duties given by the Finance and Revenues Manager and other senior finance staff.
- Carry out the above with due regard to all the Association’s policies and procedures, including Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Customer Services.
- Ensure that compliance with Data Protection legislation is applied at all times.
- Establish, develop and maintain an effective working relationship with all work colleagues to ensure an integrated contribution to the Association’s objectives.
- Comply with the Association’s Code of Conduct by behaving in a professional, respectful manner at all times.
Tools needed to do the job
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Advanced computer literacy skills including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Previous experience of working effectively in a finance department and with computerised accounting systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Effective planning and organising skills ensuring that targets and deadlines are met.
- Effective attention to detail.
- Ability to motivate and work as part of team.
- Proven record of adapting to change with a flexible approach to the requirements of the job.
- Ability to produce high quality work.
- Good standard of education equivalent to 5 GCSEs (including maths and English).
- Significant relevant accountancy experience.
- AAT or equivalent and a willingness to undertake further formal Accountancy training.
- Previous line management experience.
- You will demonstrate an ability to be courteous and be able to pronounce place names accurately in Welsh. (This requirement is set at Level 2 on self-assessment form.
- Previous RSL sector experience
- Experience of using IBS system and SAGE Payroll
- Previous experience of accounts systems training
Personal attributes/behaviours which the role holder must possess to be successful in the role.
- You will want to provide the best service to your customers that you can, whilst being sensitive and consistent in your approach.
Achieving Quality Results
- You will be able to demonstrate that you do your work well and achieve the goals that you set for yourself and that are set by others. You will be committed to providing quality work and will have a desire to improve what you do.
- You will contribute to the best of your ability as part of any team. You will show commitment and respect at all times. You will consider the needs and expectations of others and will communicate as clearly and effectively as possible.