Area Development Manager
Focused on supporting the UK’s demographic and affordable living needs, and consistent with Legal & General’s housing growth strategy, Legal & General Affordable Homes is leading the evolution of the affordable housing sector with an aim to become the leading private affordable housing provider in the UK. Through collaborating with developers, housing associations and public sector bodies across the country, L&G Affordable Homes is forward-funding new build affordable housing, bringing volume institutional capital to the social housing sector with initial target markets being affordable rent, shared ownership and rent-to-buy.
The role holder’s primary responsibility will be to grow and manage an affordable housing delivery team within a region responsible for the acquisition of primarily s106 affordable homes (but may include some stock acquisitions outside the s106 funded with grant). The role holder will oversee the project management of schemes from acquisition through development to practical completion and snagging.
The role holder will oversee a delivery team within a region which will prospect for s106-led schemes, scrutinise and price the schemes, negotiate the contracts to acquire schemes, ensure the effective project management of schemes by the development team and the efficient and effective handover of schemes to end customers. The role holder will:
- Undertake business development activities in relation to the s106 opportunities, targeting, overseeing the pricing and negotiation of schemes, and executing affordable housing forward funding and direct acquisitions from house builders and developers.
- Lead the prospecting of opportunities, appraising the schemes jointly with Finance and Operations teams, and then appraising and testing schemes in accordance with the approved investment parameters and the scrutiny processes. Review and ensure that scheme appraisals are 100% accurate before making recommendations to the Head of Affordable Housing Development in line with L&G Group policies and standards.
- Peer reviewing schemes with the Regional Head of Development and providing recommendations to manage risks, optimise quality and deliver good value for money.
- Ensure a robust sign-off process is followed in line with agreed governance policies, operating within agreed financial and risk parameters.
- Manage all negotiations in a transparent, trustworthy and honest manner and to ensure the reputation of the company is safeguarded at all times and ensure that projects are contracted in accordance with the approvals and in accordance with the adopted policies and procedures.
- Effectively plan, monitor and disburse all items of expenditure associated with the acquisition pipeline.
- Be responsible for the effective contracting and project management of schemes to ensure they are delivered in accordance with the programmes and to a high quality of finish and a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Manage the customer service team to monitor performance and to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction are achieved at all times.
- Working closely with the Operations teams, coordinate the handovers to ensure that void periods are minimised and customer and stakeholder expectations are met.
- Lead and maintain relationships with partners to ensure we are a valued and trusted partner and are presented with opportunities as they arise.
- Maintenance of a detailed pipeline, acquisition report and offer schedule to be updated weekly to report to the Director of Investments
- Meet with vendors and negotiate commercially viable deals on the best commercial terms available, working with the wider team in the development appraisal process
- Emphasise the importance of proper planning and preparation in every aspect of development management and ensure, at all times, that the management and financial information in relation to the s106 programme is up to date and accurate.
- Degree educated or equivalent
- Excellent academic background, with a numerical aptitude
- Sourcing and contracting multiple residential affordable housing investments and/or developments
- Maintaining trustworthy relationships with developers and house builders that are current and potential future partners and clients
- Actively participating in ensuring that new teams and capabilities are formed and operate collaboratively and with purpose to deliver the business results
- Delivering good returns and effective project management and risk management
- Deep experience in sourcing, closing and managing programmes of s106 schemes and stock acquisitions
- Deep locality specific knowledge of both the social housing and wider residential sectors, in particular an expert understanding of social housing development, housing management and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of developing new business relationships
- Acting efficiently and productively within defined decision making processes
- Development management and project management of affordable housing schemes generally delivered through s106 programmes
- Commercial and financial management of affordable housing schemes generally delivered through s106 programmes
- A self-driven entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and opportunity
- A highly commercial development manager that works collaterally with colleagues within and across the business with the capability of being highly effective in a corporate environment
- Ability to build new business ventures and teams to change business models and be “disruptive”
- Decisive whilst working at a quick pace
- Significant problem solving and “soft skills”