Digital Champion Mentor
JOB TITLE: Digital Champion Mentor
JOB EXPIRY DATE: MIDDAY on 2nd Janaury
SALARY: £25,860 - £30,430 per annum pro rata
JOB LOCATION: Borehamwood
CONTRACT TYPE: 6 month Fixed Term Contract
HOURS: 12 - 18 hours per week
Are you passionate about enhancing peoples' lives by supporting them to get online?
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join our Clarion Futures team on a casual basis, in order to support the set up and roll-out of digital support for residents and members of the community across key Jobs & Training sites within Clarion Futures. Successful candidates will be a fundamental part of a Big Lottery funded project called One Digital. You can read more about this Clarion Futures project here www.onedigitaluk.com
Social purpose is at the heart of Clarion Housing Group, and we aspire to reduce poverty and exclusion amongst our residents, by giving them the tools and support they need to tackle the problems they face and change their lives for the better. This is a fantastic opportunity to utilise your extensive skills and experience to really make a difference to people's lives.
One Digital is all about building the digital ability and confidence of people who need support. This work helps us to better understand and tackle those barriers to being digitally included. There are many benefits to being online, but unfortunately these are not shared by everyone. As many services move to digital delivery (commonly referred to as 'digital by default') - many people risk being excluded from essential services. One Digital is working to reduce the numbers of people at risk of digital exclusion, and is aiming to enhance the employment journey for many.
Duties and responsibilities:
Provide 1:2:1 foundation and essential digital skills support to clients in line order to help them find work or improve their employment situation. Tasks will include helping individuals to become familiar, confident and motivated to:
- engage with digital (e.g. computing devices and the internet)
- use digital technology to search and investigate job and training opportunities
- use digital platforms to communicate with employers and training providers (e.g. exploring email & social media sites)
- help individuals to attach their C.V. to an email and understand useful functions such as spell & grammar checks
- Signpost to other help and support, as directed.
Be clear on the boundaries and limitations aligned to this role; as you will be equipped with a screening tool which will help to define and guide towards the necessary support an individual requires.
Motivated to support Volunteer Digital Champions and staff to conduct digital skills screening and provide essential digital skills support to clients.
Be willing to develop whilst also documenting and keeping track of your Digital Champion journey
An ideal candidate will
- Have good people and communication skills; with patience empathy and respect for others
- Be confident and competent to deliver train-the-trainer level of support
- Be confident and competent to use a variety of digital devices and to navigate the internet
- Understand the difference between IT literacy, foundation and essential digital skills, whilst critically able to recognise the importance of digital skills for finding work
- Understand the boundaries and limitations in relation to supporting clients to advance their essential digital skills
- Be clear of your role and of the One Digital project
- Open to the possibility of traveling across London to support delivery at other sites, attend team meetings and even represent at events
Closing Date: 2nd January 2019
Please ensure you have read the information contained within the 'Before applying' link at the top of the vacancies page.
This post is subject to a Basic Criminal Record Check Clearance.