Affordable Housing Delivery Manager
You will have overall responsibility for the Affordable Housing section of the Housing Delivery & Development Team. These officers have responsibility for maintaining Cornwall’s excellent track record of providing affordable housing – Cornwall is regularly within the top 3 Local Authorities nationally for affordable housing delivery (early indications are that Cornwall was ‘Number 1’ in England in 2017/18).
The team also has a particular role to play in working with our partner Registered Providers to enable growth, as well as the Planning Service and planning applicants to unlock the potential of land, buildings and assets to meet our ambitious targets.
You will have responsibility for a programme of community-led housing growth, and for creating and maintaining excellent relationships with other stakeholders and partners. This is a high profile and influential post that plays a pivotal role in supporting the political direction of the Council. It will also take the lead for the Housing Service’s work with planning and scrutiny committees, as well as Cabinet and Council for strategic decisions relating to affordable housing delivery. You will also play a fundamental role in supporting Local Plan growth targets, and other Directorate-wide objectives.
You will be specifically tasked with increasing the quality and scale of affordable housing delivery in Cornwall. This will be achieved by:
- identifying stalled sites (and opportunities to unlock such schemes both directly or with key partners);
- opportunities to secure and use a range of internal and external funding;
- identifying opportunities for direct delivery of homes through the HRA or HDP (as well as other programmes); and,
- influencing the strategic direction of the Council and Strategic Partnerships, with an emphasis on growth in appropriate locations.
A key responsibility will be to deliver strategic and investment priorities for the Council. This may involve developing innovative delivery solutions, and the development/delivery of financing mechanisms, tenures and policy that contribute to growth - including use of revolving loans, and support to the community-led housing sector.
You will also be tasked with maximising revenue and capital income from fee-earning work; building a pipeline of off-site contributions and deliverable sites; delivering a large grant-funded affordable housing programme; and, identifying internal investment opportunities.
Cornwall Council believes that the provision of high quality of housing, of all tenures, is essential to the long term sustainability of the Duchy.
Providing homes to meet the local need has been a top priority for the Council, since its creation in 2009. Recently however, the Council has decided to take a more active role in the overall growth ambition by setting an ambitious target to directly provide 1,000 new homes, including affordable and open market housing, through a range of development programmes, by March 2022.
Significant resources have been committed to achieve this, including:
- a rolling 3-year investment programme of at least £14.64m, to fund new affordable housing delivery through local Registered Provider partners;
- loan and grant funding for community-led housing organisations;
- commercial development partnerships with major/national house-builders to bring forward under-used public land for re-development;
- the creation of two new ‘council housing’ development programmes totalling some £65m, within the Housing Revenue Account (HRA);
- the direct development of new extra care housing schemes in key locations;
- establishing a major new Housing Development Programme of some £200m, which will see the Council providing at least 1,000 new affordable, private rent, and open market sale homes; and,
- creation of a new wholly-owned development company that can help us deliver the homes we need throughout Cornwall.
To achieve such an ambitious programme of growth, we need to recruit additional people to help us deliver new homes. These new roles will join with our existing and highly-skilled team of Affordable Housing officers, to create a new Housing Delivery & Development Team. This combined group of officers will allow us to realise our development potential by commissioning and developing homes of all tenures, and for all programmes. The team will also build partnerships with a range of stakeholders (such as developers, landowners, communities and Registered Providers) to ensure that opportunities for growth are maximised - to help us meet the housing needs of our communities. We also have a number of other vacancies available.
What can we offer?
As one of the largest Local Authorities in the UK, we offer a range of benefits for prospective employees. We are also keen to provide opportunities for career progression and training, and offer an excellent pension scheme. For more information on these benefits, please have a look at what we offer.
If you are interested in joining us on our journey, then we want to hear from you!
If you are interested in this role please apply here
Alternatively, for further information and to apply, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the page.
Closing Date: 17th February 2019
Interview Date: 28th February 2019
More searches like this
- Homes and Asset Management Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent jobs in Cornwall
- Asset management Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent jobs in Cornwall
- Business development Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent jobs in Cornwall
- Residential Development & Construction Manager £50,000 - £59,999 Permanent jobs in Cornwall