Development & Commercial Manager
Focused on supporting the UK’s demographic and affordable living needs, and consistent with Legal & General’s housing growth strategy, Legal & General Affordable Homes is leading the evolution of the affordable housing sector with an aim to become the leading private affordable housing provider in the UK. Through collaborating with developers, housing associations and public sector bodies across the country, L&G Affordable Homes is forward-funding new build affordable housing, bringing volume institutional capital to the social housing sector with initial target markets being affordable rent, shared ownership and rent-to-buy.
The role holder’s primary responsibility will be to manage the design and construction of high quality affordable-led housing schemes on land purchased by LGAH.
The role holder will work with the Land Managers and Land and Planning Managers who prospect for and secure executable affordable housing schemes. The role holder will provide input into the development feasibility for a site and then post planning, will take on all aspects of the development delivery of the site to successful completion, handover and snagging. The role holder will also lead the liaison with Homes England and other grant funding bodies to secure grant into schemes.
Principle accountabilities of the post holder include:
- Working collaboratively with the regional development team to be a key player in ensuring the successful delivery of affordable led development sites.
- Providing development and construction input into site and development appraisals when bidding for new sites.
- Leading procuring site investigations where necessary to support the land managers as part of the site acquisition feasibility stage.
- Taking the lead responsibility for delivery of development and construction post planning permission, including the discharging of conditions and the successful procuring of development delivery to ensure schemes are delivered within the approved development parameters for a site.
- Procuring professional teams and their effective contracting to support the successful delivery of development and construction schemes.
- Advising on and negotiating the appropriate form of construction and development contracts for sites.
- Liaison with the statutory undertakers to ensure the proper and timely servicing of sites.
- Peer reviewing development schemes prior to decisions from the investment decision making body and providing recommendations on schemes to support.
- Be the lead person taking financial accountability for the schemes that are under the leadership of the post holder.
- Overseeing the effective management of schemes to ensure they are delivered in accordance with the development and financial programmes and completed to a high quality of finish.
- Liaising with the customer service team to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction are achieved from occupiers of the completed homes.
- Providing expert input into the standard specifications for the homes to drive efficient construction and high quality housing ensuring that these standards are met by all counterparties.
- Working closely with the operations teams to ensure the schemes and finishes meet the businesses’ housing management strategy objectives.
- Demonstrate awareness of current and future market conditions/trends and construction and development opportunities, including willingness to consider, evaluate and recommend direction for the company to follow to drive growth within the financial parameters of the business.
- Develop new and existing relationships with supply chain partners to deliver development and construction for the business
- Degree educated or equivalent.
- Good academic background, with a numerical aptitude
- Preferably a professional qualification in a development or construction discipline
- Delivering residential development and construction – preferably in the affordable and market housing sectors
- Developing and leading teams that deliver programmes of construction across multiple sites
- Establishing and maintaining trustworthy relationships with supply chain partners and professional advisors that are current and potential future partners
- Developing new teams, systems and capabilities to deliver business results
- Delivering good returns and through effective value creation processes and effective project management and risk management
- Deep experience in delivering numerous residential development schemes
- Deep locality specific knowledge of both the affordable housing and wider residential sectors, in particular an expert understanding of affordable housing development and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of developing new business and capabilities
- Acting efficiently and productively within defined decision making processes
- Capable of analysing trends, competitor activity and opportunities in the market to understand and prioritise the requirements for development
- An entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and is comfortable making decisions in ambiguous environment
- A commercial person that works collaboratively with colleagues within and across the Group with the capability of being highly effective in a developing corporate environment
- Ability to build new business relationships to support the business’s objectives
- Decisive whilst working at a quick pace
- Significant problem solving and “soft skills”
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, 10% car allowance, life assurance, family private medical insurance, 25 days' holiday, performance related bonuses, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
Please contact Stacie Burnett, Resourcing Lead - Stacie.Burnett@landg.com for further information.