Development Manager (Western home counties)
Focused on supporting the UK’s demographic and affordable living needs, and consistent with Legal & General’s housing growth strategy, Legal & General Affordable Homes is leading the evolution of the affordable housing sector with an aim to become the leading private affordable housing provider in the UK. Through collaborating with developers, housing associations and public sector bodies across the country, L&G Affordable Homes is forward-funding new build affordable housing, bringing volume institutional capital to the social housing sector with initial target markets being affordable rent, shared ownership and rent-to-buy.
The role holder’s primary responsibility will be to work to the Regional Development Director to grow and manage an affordable housing delivery team within a region responsible for the acquisition of primarily s106 affordable homes (but may include some stock acquisitions outside the s106 funded with grant). The role holder will oversee the project management of schemes from acquisition through development to practical completion and snagging.
The role holder will manage smaller programmes of s106 and non s106 development delivery across one of a number of local authority areas. The role will include prospecting-for s106-led schemes, scrutinise and price the schemes, negotiate the contracts to acquire schemes, ensure the effective project management of schemes and the efficient and effective handover of schemes to end customers. Principle roles include:
- Reporting to the Regional Development Director and working with Finance and Operations team, support the full and successful delivery of s106 led affordable housing schemes.
- Undertake business development activities in relation to the s106 opportunities within the designated area targeting, overseeing the pricing and negotiation of schemes, and executing affordable housing forward funding and direct acquisitions from house builders and developers.
- Prospect opportunities, appraising the schemes jointly with Finance and Operations teams, and then appraising and testing schemes in accordance with the approved investment parameters and the scrutiny processes and reporting to the Area Development Manager. Review and ensure that scheme appraisals are 100% accurate.
- Peer reviewing schemes as required and providing recommendations to manage risks, optimise quality and deliver good value for money.
- Ensure a robust sign-off process is followed in line with agreed governance policies, operating within agreed financial and risk parameters.
- Manage all negotiations in a transparent, trustworthy and honest manner and to ensure the reputation of the company is safeguarded at all times and ensure that projects are contracted in accordance with the approvals and in accordance with the adopted policies and procedures.
- Effectively plan, monitor and disburse all items of expenditure associated with the acquisition pipeline.
- Be responsible for the effective contracting and project management of schemes to ensure they are delivered in accordance with the programmes and to a high quality of finish and a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Ensure that schemes are completed to the standard delivery requirements, ensuring that these standards are met by all counterparties.
- Working closely with the Operations teams, coordinate the handovers to ensure that void periods are minimised and customer and stakeholder expectations are met.
- Monitor scheme bidding performance and pricing to ensure that the team are procuring at values which reflect the needs of the business.
- Lead and maintain relationships with partners to ensure we are a valued and trusted partner and are presented with opportunities as they arise.
- Degree educated or equivalent
- Excellent academic background, with a numerical aptitude
- Sourcing and contracting residential affordable housing investments and/or developments
- Maintaining trustworthy relationships with developers and house builders that are current and potential future partners and clients
- Delivering good returns and effective project management and risk management
- Deep experience in sourcing, closing and managing programmes of s106 schemes and stock acquisitions
- Deep locality specific knowledge of both the social housing and wider residential sectors, in particular an expert understanding of social housing development, housing management and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of developing new business relationships
- Acting efficiently and productively within defined decision making processes
- Development management and project management of affordable housing schemes generally delivered through s106 programmes
- Commercial and financial management of affordable housing schemes generally delivered through s106 programmes
- A self-driven entrepreneurial spirit that embraces change and opportunity
- A commercial development manager that works collaterally with colleagues within and across the business with the capability of being highly effective in a corporate environment
- Ability to build new business ventures and teams to change business models and be “disruptive”
- Decisive whilst working at a quick pace
- Significant problem solving and “soft skills”
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, 10% car allowance, life assurance, employee private medical insurance, 25 days' holiday, performance related bonuses, your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.
Please contact Stacie Burnett, Resourcing Lead - Stacie.Burnett@landg.com for further information.
Please note that applications should be made via the ‘Apply now’ button below and not by email.
More searches like this
- Homes and Asset Management Officer £30,000 to £60,000 Permanent jobs in Southampton
- Business development Officer £30,000 to £60,000 Permanent jobs in Southampton
- Residential Development & Construction Officer £30,000 to £60,000 Permanent jobs in Southampton
- Development / regeneration Officer £30,000 to £60,000 Permanent jobs in Southampton