Senior Development Manager
Guinness was founded in 1890, so we have been providing homes and services for nearly 130 years. We’re proud of our heritage, and excited about our future. What we’re here for hasn’t changed – to improve people’s lives and create possibilities for them. We’re committed to providing great homes and services to our customers across the country.
Over the next 5 years Guinness plans to build 10,000 new homes across the country, and we’re expanding our team to help us do this. We’re looking for experienced and talented development professionals, who share our vision and values, to join our team and help us deliver our exciting new build programme.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Development Manager to join our Major Projects team in London on a permanent basis. The successful candidate will focus on the planning and delivery of large, complex and innovative residential and mixed use schemes across London and the South East.
You’ll be joining the Development Team where planned growth includes the delivery of 1000-2000 homes per annum and a 2024 target of 10,000 homes across all tenures. The team is dynamic, fast moving, agile and commercially focused in its approach to development.
Reporting to the Head of Major Projects you’ll be primarily responsible for:
- Leading on and serving as the primary point of contact on large, complex, higher risk, often mixed use development projects, managing such projects at design, tender and/or construction phases (RIBA stages 1-7).
- Leading on capital projects with values over £100m, overseeing appropriate cash flow procedures, deliver value for money in procurement, and dealing with daily budgetary requirements.
- Overseeing projects’ financial / funding targets, reporting on variances and liaising with the Business Strategy Team for grant applications.
- Advising on and delivering to Development strategies and business plans, adapting projects to reflect changing requirements and commitments.
- Leading, motivating, and performance managing multi-disciplinary project and design teams to ensure the successful delivery of projects.
- Leading on the contract management for projects, overseeing and negotiating terms and conditions, ensuring compliance and providing analysis to assess performance against key indicators.
- Performance managing consultants and contractors, ensuring they perform to both their scope of services and Guinness standards.
- Overseeing the design of projects in order to develop efficient, cost effective, high quality homes.
- Liaising with Directors and internal and external stakeholders, leading on various working groups.
- Engaging with the project team and CDM Coordinator to mitigate all project health and safety risks.
- Creating project based protocols, reporting, document management and record keeping procedures, ensuring that the development governance is followed to Guinness standards by all parties working on the project.
- Minimum 5 years management experience in Development.
- Excellent social housing market knowledge.
- Proven track record of successful residential new build delivery.
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating large teams.
- Proven track record of working with contractors and managing development teams on site.
- Knowledge and experience of budget and managing projects.
- Proven experience of performance managing third parties and maintaining contractual provisions and standards.
- Knowledge of contract management and contract law.
- Up to date knowledge of UK planning regulations, building regulations and NHBC standards.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work effectively in a complex and dynamic environment.
- Experience of managing technical teams.
- A sound understanding of funding models with the ability to provide credible feasibility analysis to leadership team.
- Understanding of national regeneration and development agenda.
- Experience and understanding of social housing legislation and regulation including health and safety, risk management, and environmental and sustainability issues.
- Demonstrates the Guinness behaviours.
- Demonstrates the Guinness Leadership and Management Standard.
- Educated to degree level and/or relevant professional qualification in Project Management, Property, Architecture, Planning, or Construction
What’s on offer
We offer an excellent benefits package that helps to make The Guinness Partnership a great place to work. Benefits include but aren't limited to:
- Competitive Salary of £69,337 (£63,337 plus £6K local job supplement per annum) rising to £72,670 (£66,670 plus £6K LJS per annum) after 12 months
- 25 days holiday & bank holidays (Plus option to purchase 5 additional holiday days)
- Amazing career development opportunities
- Access to Private Health scheme
- Competitive Pension Scheme
- Access to Employee assistance programme
- Access to Benefits Portal offering everyday Lifestyle Benefits
- Professional qualification support & financial support for professional subscriptions
- Thank you awards - by nomination
- Aspire programme - £100 allowance per employee each financial year
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Training & E-learning courses
If you’re interested in joining us and would like to apply for this role, please review the role profile to view all of the key responsibilities and ensure you meet the essential criteria.