Gardener in Residence
An exciting opportunity has come up for a Gardiner in Residence.
The role of the GiR will be to identify, co-produce and create numerous opportunities for residents, school pupils, volunteers and staff to get involved in growing plants, flowers, fruit and vegetables. The aim is multi-faceted but includes transforming domestic, organisational or public spaces across Thamesmead into productive landscapes that nurture a greater sense of pride in the area and provide much needed access to healthy food.
Through employing a Gardener in Residence we hope to develop Thamesmead into a garden town that celebrates locally grown produce. The role is also anticipated to encourage greater resident stewardship of the public spaces across Thamesmead and pride in one’s own domestic spaces (including tower block balconies, private homes and communal walkways) through the growing and nurturing of plants and flowers to contrast the concrete and urban nature that dominates Thamesmead.
- Ability to work independently, exercising good initiative and judgement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven time management and prioritization skills.
- Proven experience and ability to deliver excellent customer care and valuing diversity.
- Ability to work with communities and children
- Proven attention to detail and ability to work on a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines and targets
- Clean driving license
- Ability to train others
Relevant degree or equivalent in horticulture and sufficient experience.