Energy and Assets Officer
Energy and Assets Officer
Location: Sheffield or Gainsborough
Job type: Full Time, Permanent (Flexible working considered)
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £30,000 per annum + Essential car user allowance
Closing Date: 8th September 2019
Your role is all about improving customers lives and ensuring Acis’ property portfolio is the best it can be through a range of initiatives whether internally or externally funded. You really enjoy being the go-to specialist, providing a wide range of information to stakeholders, actively learning about new technologies and finding ways to get them into our homes. You know that you can grow the role by increasing funding opportunities through awards of grants and funding from a range of bodies and you revel in getting the job done.
Who are Acis?
We provide homes for people who need them and services to help our customers lead better lives.
We own and manage more than 7,000 properties across the East Midlands and Yorkshire and the Humber, helping thousands of people in our communities every single day.
This includes homes for affordable rent, homes for students and homes for older people. We even develop new homes to help people get on the property ladder.
And we have a distinct way of doing all this. Everything we do is for our customers. We think positively, we try to say ‘yes’ more often, we work collaboratively, we try to overcome any barriers placed in our way, we encourage innovation and, in simple terms, get things done. This is called The Acis Way.
What does a typical day look like for an Energy and Asset Officer?
- Being the company’s lead specialist and go-to person on renewable technologies and energy efficiency management within and external to the organisation
- Co-ordinating and project managing the delivery and ongoing development of the Asset Management Strategy and any associated programmes of work from inception through to completion
- Identifying, evaluating, and preparing proposals, bids and business cases for funding and partnership opportunities or incentives, maximising potential income for our customer and our organisation
- Capturing, recording, inputting and reporting on energy data from a range of sources including meter reads, utility bills and other sources, and managing this data on databases and registers
- Investigating queries and abnormal consumption and charges
- Keeping in regular contact with site users, suppliers, contractors and other internal and external stakeholders
- Actively advising and promoting energy management, fuel poverty and affordable warmth issues and initiatives to customers and stakeholders, through a range of media
- Researching current and proposed legislative requirements relating to energy conservation ensuring the organisation remains compliant
- Developing and managing plans and programmes of work that will improve the efficiency of our customers’ homes
- Undertaking inspections, assessments and surveys that will help improve Acis’ property portfolio and our customers lives
- Ensuring that the organisations renewable technologies are maintained and that appropriate income streams are re-couped
- Analysing data and providing reports and business cases as needed
- Supporting the improvement of services and specifications, including the development of new energy efficiency technology in homes
- Preparing, monitoring and managing budgets and performance against agreed targets
- Producing and distributing performance reports (EPC) both internally and to relevant stakeholders
- Conducting energy trend analysis and undertaking utility consumption audits
- The regular identification, appraisal and treatment of risks
- Identifying and understanding how costs compare with other organisations.
- Understanding measurement systems for service area
- Conducting Best Value Reviews and Health-Checks in line with Acis Comprehensive Service review programme.
The must haves (essential skills)
- Hands on experience in a similar role
- NVQ 2 or equivalent in numeracy and literacy
- HNC or HND or relevant experience in related subject area
- Knowledge of the energy supply and renewable markets, including a good knowledge of the regulations and legislation in these areas
- Knowledge of renewable technologies, including grant and funding schemes in these and other energy efficiency areas
- Able to understand, calculate and produce energy performance data and required certification
- Experience of working in a construction or property related environment to deliver energy and affordable warmth operations
- Experience of working with energy suppliers
- A track record of developing energy efficiency initiatives and programmes of work as well as management and delivery experience on energy efficiency projects from feasibility to completion
- The ability to undertake a range of assessments in relation to energy usage and efficiency
- Excellent written and presentation skills, with experience of successfully writing bids to attract external funding
- Experience of working with internal and external stakeholders to create successful collaborative partnerships
- The ability to developing appropriate strategies, policies and procedures, including reshaping existing policies and procedures to fit within an ever-changing world
- Delivery of energy initiative programmes on time, within budget and to the rights standards
- Excellent communicator across different media formats
- Computer literate with strong Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to input and analyse data and turn into meaningful information, clear and accurate reports and business cases.
- Well-developed influencing and negotiating skills
-You’re able to juggle competing workloads and are just as happy working alone as you are collaborating with others
- Resilience. Working in social housing is a challenging but rewarding career. You’ll be helping to bring real change to our customers’ lives.
The added extras (desirable skills)
- Two years’ experience in a similar role
- Knowledge and experience of using systems such as Orchard
- Committed to undertaking further studying or training to expand your knowledge and experience in an energy related field
- You’ll be adept at change, having got hands on experience living and breathing new ways of working and knowing how to bring your colleagues along for the experience.
Being part of the Acis team
- You’ll work from our head office at Acis House in Gainsborough. We will ask you to visit other sites or locations as part of your role
- We’re working for our customers between 7am and 7pm Monday - Friday. Most people are here from 8.30am to 5pm (4.30pm on a Friday), but we’re flexible so talk to your line manager to find out the best fit.
- You’ll work 37 hours each week. We offer flexi-time, so talk to your line manager for more details.
- You’ll get:
- At least 25 days annual leave every year, with bank holidays on top of this.
- An employer matched pension contribution of up to 8%.
- The opportunity to undertake professional training, funded by us.
- This role requires an enhanced DBS check as this role includes working with vulnerable customers
- We like to get face to face with customers and suppliers, so a full driving licence is essential (or full access to a vehicle and driver under a scheme such as Access to Work).
- We like to be smart and safe, so you’ll need to wear smart office clothing and where required, PPE.
- We want people to know you, so you’ll work with a variety of people such as; other team members, managers and directors, the Board, our customers, members of the public, contractors, employees from other organisations and so on.
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged and the range of duties and responsibilities to be undertaken. It does not attempt to detail every activity. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder at regular intervals. The post holder will be required at all times to perform any other reasonable task, as requested by the line manager in order to meet the operational needs of the business.
Where a role has different types, the business may at any time ask you to perform the duties of another role type, provided you have the relevant training and skills.
Where applicable, all relevant figures are pro rata for part-time employees.
We may close this vacancy earlier than the stated closing date if the volume of applicants is high
This is a permanent role
Acis are committed to equality and diversity, are a proud member of disability confident and welcome applications from any applicant who feel they hold the essential skills to fulfil the role. We recognise that people need flexibility in their role and we’re happy to discuss flexible working options with the successful candidate.
Acis operates a preferred recruitment agency list. We do not accept speculative applications.