We are looking for an experienced Quantity Surveyor with a successful track record working within the Housing sector to join our newly formed Asset & Investment Team. The Team’s aim is to deliver outstanding performance and contribute to the delivery of the Council’s strategic objectives for its Housing portfolio. You will play a pivotal role in achieving this across our diverse portfolio of properties, from our homes built as part of our New Town development to those built in 1897 and those we’ve yet to build.
This is an exciting time, as we embark on our ambition to improve the condition of our residents’ homes as well as building new ones. With an annual budget in excess of £50 million covering responsive repairs, planned improvement works and new builds, you will play a critical role in ensuring these programmes are delivered in a cost effective, timely manner to the standard expected. This will include the provision of commercial, financial, risk management, procurement and contractual advice to ensure contract processes deliver agreed outcomes for the Council, residents and stakeholders. You will work with colleagues to ensure projects are in line with the Housing Revenue Account Business Plan and contribute to reviewing the plan to make sure it remains fit for purpose and delivers positive outcomes for the residents of Milton Keynes.
To ensure we deliver our desired outcomes the quantity surveyor role will:
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary property team focused on planned and responsive property maintenance and investment.
- Develop effective contract specifications to ensure clarity for contractors and partners, limiting avoidable variations during the course of projects.
- Ensure appropriate procurements channels are used, procurement legislation adhered to and processes clearly documented.
- Be responsible for monitoring expenditure against various contractual payment terms including schedule of rates and quoted works. Work with wider team and contractors to respond quickly to issues which may result overspends or delays in delivery.
- Negotiate effectively with contractors, partners and other stakeholders to achieve positive commercial outcomes that support HRA Business Plan objectives
- Identify issues and provide options for resolving them at earliest possible stage and where appropriate recommend systems and procedural improvements for the future.
- Deal with contractual issues quickly and effectively before they require, lengthy and costly, formal legal dispute resolution.
To be successful you will need experience, qualifications and skills, including:
- Degree level qualification and/ or significant experience in a quantity or building surveyor role.
- Membership of Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyor or equivalent.
- Extensive experience of the delivery of planned and responsive maintenance services in the housing sector.
- A good understanding and knowledge of relevant housing legislation, including in relation to construction, maintenance and service provision
- Detailed understanding of the financial and technical aspects of contracts and contract accounting across the range of contracts used within the sector.
- Significant experience of managing and monitoring multi million pound project budgets to ensure value for money and minimising risk to the Council.
- Experience of developing and delivering strategic plans, based on robust asset management data and market intelligence and confident in presenting them to a range of audiences.
- Proven experience of and ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as on own initiative.
- Ability to identify and mitigate risks within the service area both in the design of programmes and specification as well as during the course of projects.
- Ability to develop and sustain productive relationships with the customer, contractors and stakeholders to meet demand and expectations.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft packages, including advanced Excel, and experience of using asset management databases such as Keystone.
If this sounds like you and you are looking for a new challenge apply today to join us and as well as the satisfaction of knowing you are working towards improving our residents homes and environment you will also benefit from what Milton Keynes Council has to offer as an employer.