Milton Keynes Council is looking for development managers to join its small but expanding new build and regeneration delivery team to develop and deliver a pipeline of truly affordable housing across the city and meet its current commitment to deliver 500 plus council homes by 2022. We have two major regeneration schemes on two of our larger estates, with strong resident and community involvement. It is an exciting time to join the team as there is a strong commitment to increase the programme of new homes driven by the corporate vision of Milton Keynes in 2050 as a city with 500,000 residents and the development of a local housing company to deliver a strong programme of affordable housing.
This is a fantastic opportunity to contribute to meeting the ever-increasing need for a range of social and affordable homes in Milton Keynes.
We are seeking someone with experience within the affordable housing sector from feasibility to the submission of planning permission, working successfully with different stakeholders including local councillors and resident groups; experience of development appraisals using Proval or similar; programme management; overseeing the work of a range of consultants; writing reports and the overseeing of design and build contracts to the final delivery of council homes. As the overall programme grows there will be opportunities to play to your strengths in terms of dealing with pre-start on site and managing construction projects; however we are looking for people now who are flexible in deploying their skills as needed.
- Lead on multiple council housing development projects, liaising effectively with colleagues and stakeholders, to ensure that the housing need proposed by the development is delivered and the scheme meets the expected local solutions it aimed to address.
- Accountable for the management of a capital budget of c.25m pa, responsible for requesting the budget through the appropriate funding boards, establishing delivery plans, reporting on progress and management of payments to contractors and consultants.
- Manage an extensive Project team of external consultants to include Architects, Civil, M/E and other specialist consultants as required, Employers Agents and Clerk of Works.
- Direct the liaison and consultation with ward councils, parish councils, portfolio holders, residents, residents’ groups, project groups, the local planning authority and other statutory bodies as required, to discuss, agree and implement proposals.
- Ensure that projects are soundly established in terms of governance, legal structures, risk management, evaluation and monitoring systems, and exit strategies prior to project delivery. Ensure that accurate audit files are prepared and maintained for every scheme.
- Manage the development process of a pipeline of sites from obtaining planning approvals to the delivery of completed schemes
- Carry out financial/risk appraisals of schemes and reports for approval and ensuring that risk assessments are updated for all schemes and that progress reports are made and presented.
- Ensure that all contract expenditure is in line with the projected scheme cash flow and understand and manage any variations.
- Maintain a consolidated programme of scheme delivery targets and report monthly on progress and any variations
Experience, knowledge and qualifications required
- Possess a degree level qualification and/or significant relevant experience in Housing Development in the affordable housing sector
- Membership of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, Chartered Institute of Housing or equivalent
- Working knowledge of property and housing law and related issues
- Extensive experience in the delivery of new build housing schemes
- Knowledge and experience of using a development appraisal system such as Proval
- Experience of leading outstanding customer focused services
- Experience of working with and developing new arrangements with partners including elected members and external agencies
- Experience of reporting to Board /Committee
- Able to manage high workload and conflicting priorities
- Able to analyse complex data and deliver information written or spoken to a range of audiences
- Able to act as an ambassador for the Council
- Able to influence, persuade and negotiate to achieve positive outcomes
- Experience of leading project teams
- Ability to interpret complex, and sometimes conflicting data, in order to develop suitable responses for the delivery of a comprehensive and inclusive service
- Ability to analyse situations, identify and communicate issues and potential solutions within the service
- Experience of managing complex projects and initiatives
- Ability to identify and mitigate Risks within the service area
- Experience of leading and delivering change within a complex organisation