Housing Technical Officer
Department of Place
Economy and Development
Housing Technical Officer
SO1/SO2 £26,999 pa - £31,371 pa
1 x 37 hours per week
Based at Margaret Macmillan Tower, Princes Way, Bradford, BD1 1NN
The Code of Practice on the English language requirement for public sector workers, Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 requires that Councils ensure that all candidates applying for customer facing posts must be assessed in order to establish their fluency in English.
The criteria under special knowledge and experience on the job profile which is shown in this advert outlines what level of fluency you will be expected to demonstrate. Therefore, it is essential that you provide examples in your application.
We require a Housing Technical Officer to work in the Operational Team, within the Housing service.
The Housing Technical officer posts are generic and officers can be required to work within any of the 3 operational housing teams which cover adaptations, empty homes and loans and housing standards. Duties include:
- Preparing detailed specifications, plans, designs for schemes, schedules of work, tender documents and contracts as may be required for adaptation, maintenance, repair and improvement works.
- Reviewing, managing and reporting on performance of contractors in accordance with specifications and health and safety and quality standards.
- Providing expert advice to vulnerable client groups, contractors and other officers.
- Advising home owners and other professionals on matters of home maintenance and repairs, including the resolution of statutory nuisance caused by building defects.
- Visiting and inspecting properties in order to bring them up to the required standard for privately rented properties, including flats and houses in multiple occupation.
- The preparation of schedules of work, the collection of evidence and presentation or precise reports necessary for successful enforcement action.
You will need
- BTEC Higher National Certificate in Building Studies, Building Construction, Construction Studies, Construction Technology or Structural Surveying OR an alternative construction related qualification at a similar level within the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications.
- 3 years experience of working in the building construction or housing maintenance industry or in a public, private or voluntary sector organisation delivering housing maintenance or housing enforcement. This must include experience of surveying housing including service installations.
- Experience in the preparation of schedules for building works.
- Experience in the preparation of tender documentation for general building works relating to residential property.
- Experience of supervising building works.
- Experience of delivering a customer-focussed service, including face to face advice to members of the public.
- An understanding of work practices, techniques and standards used within the building construction or building maintenance industries.
- An understanding of legislation relating to building control and/or housing standards.
- The current vacancy is within the Adaptations team but the post of Housing Technical Officer is a generic post and you may be required to undertake other Housing Technical Officer duties within one of the other Housing Operations teams.
For further information please contact Alison Garlick, Adaptations Manager on 01274 434512 or email email@example.com
To apply, please click on ‘Apply’
Closing date: 28th October 2019