Head of Enterprise Architecture
Role Title: Head of Enterprise Architecture
Grade:Head of Team
Location:Coventry, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle
Directorate: Corporate Rescources
Recruiting Manager: Claire Harrison
Closing Date: 06/10/2020
This is an overview of the role:
The Architecture team is part of the Digital directorate at Homes England. The team supports the business in designing, delivering and iterating the digital, data and technology services, which are core to providing a modern and enabling interface between Digital, and its internal and external stakeholders.
As a leading member of the Architecture function, working with technology peers in Homes England and across wider Government you will help define and architect solutions, as well as advising on technology choices for SaaS and commercial software packages. You will lead and drive forward complex technical services, within an Agile, DevOps, design and development environment in line with the GDS code of practice and Homes England’s architecture vision.
With substantial experience of working within the leadership and governance of enterprise and solutions architecture, you will ensure that cross-programme architecture and shared services\components are underpinned by cost effective, scalable and efficient technology; and that high impact technology decisions are made under proper scrutiny and governance.
Working as a leading member of the Architecture function, you will support the Chief Architect in devising and implementing the strategy for escaping legacy technology, ensuring that it is aligned with product and technology roadmaps.
You will be a key member of the Technical Design Authority, and a wider community of practice of Architects that embraces fast-cycle Agile, service design principles, whilst driving coherence across common foundation services, minimising technical debt and legacy technology risk.
This is a critical role for an experienced Enterprise Architect who can work with delivery and operational teams, to support the design, development and sustainability of Homes England products and services, and our strategic roadmap.
The successful person will be responsible for:
Ensuring that digital solutions are in line with the Homes England’s architecture vision by providing appropriate guidance around the enterprise and solutions architecture. Understand the organisation’s ecosystem and its inter-dependencies, ensuring quality and integrity of new solutions in our ecosystem
Provide architectural oversight to projects across Homes England by working closely with multi-disciplinary teams to drive enterprise-wide architectural coherence, and, reuse of technical capabilities.
Guide projects in making the correct technology decisions to meet user needs, ensuring sustainability and scalability to achieve value for money
Working with the Chief Architect, establish and maintain architectural principles, standards, blueprints, roadmaps that underpin all technical design and delivery whilst ensuring coherence with the wider government approach to technology
Apply knowledge of Government Technology Code of Practice and support the product management technical capability and digital delivery, aligning our technology choices with other Government organisations so that we benefit from technical and commercial synergies
In order to complete the responsibilities for this role, the successful candidate will have:
• Substantial experience of delivering and leading business, enterprise and solutions architecture within a complex and transforming organisation
• Architecture practice development and governance within a fast-cycle innovative culture, embracing agile working, product management and DevOps practices
• Extensive experience of working with technology teams and multi-disciplinary stakeholders and user research-based insights to define solutions that best support the business and user needs
• Capable of effectively engaging with a wide range of digital specialists, suppliers and stakeholders to contribute to and assure detailed technical architectures and designs in line with Homes England and Government strategy
• Ability to cope in a technically complex and transformational environment, and to respond calmly and rationally to changing aspirations within constraints
• Expertise with GOV.UK services, service design methods and GDS standards
• Considerable experience of working at the boundary between business and technology, maintaining a deep understanding of business goals and processes that informs the architecture roadmap
• A broad architecture background combined with areas of deeper knowledge of technologies and practices, and a good understanding of architecture domains
• Excellent knowledge of modern technical architectures and paradigms including event-based design, containerisation, microservices, APIs, loose-coupling
• A good understanding of a broad range of technologies such as:
- HTML/CSS, C# .Net and .NET Core, Java
- Oracle, MS, PostGres DBs, DWHs, CosmosDB, MongoDB
- CI/CD tool e.g. Terraform and Jenkins
- Cloud technologies e.g. Azure, AWS, Google Cloud Platform
• Excellent knowledge of architecture methodologies, frameworks and tools such as TOGAF, ArchiMate and UML, and experience of their application