Public Affairs Officer
PlaceShapers is the national network of more than 100 community-based social housing providers.
All members sign up to these five principles:
- Our residents and customers are at the heart of what we do and have genuine impact on our organisations.
- We listen and provide more than just landlord services because we care about people and places.
- We build homes that respond to the needs of the communities we serve.
- Working collaboratively and actively with our local authorities and other local partners enables us to improve and shape places at both a strategic and operational level.
- We are run by members, for members and are committed to a diverse, values-driven housing association sector.
This is a brand new role, and whilst you will be employed by Origin Housing, you will be seconded to PlaceShapers. You can be based anywhere in the country and you will be managed by the PlaceShapers Director, who is based in London, with support from the PlaceShapers Business Support Officer, based in Stoke. You will also be supported by the Head of Communications at Origin.
For this exciting new role and we are looking for a driven and enthusiastic individual who is seeking a challenging and rewarding opportunity. You will develop a wide range of skills within a supportive team, who will enable and value your professional development.
This role will also give you an opportunity to gain an understanding of the political landscape that we operate in, stakeholder intelligence and management and commissioning research and working with leading think tanks.
What you’ll do:
Political insight and building relationships:
- Undertake political mapping of PlaceShapers members and identify key MPs and Councilors to develop relationships with.
- Develop relationships with staff working in key MPs’ offices to offer them support and information.
- Provide relevant political insight and intelligence for PlaceShapers members.
- Proactively arrange meetings for PlaceShapers Board with key MPs and draft meeting briefings.
- Source social media content from key MPs and political thinkers to share with our members.
Events, policy development and research:
- Work with members and Business Support officer to run a number of political events each year.
- Undertake desk research and run consultations with members to support development of policy asks for PlaceShapers.
- Help support design and delivery of research projects working with research agencies and think tanks, supported by the PlaceShapers Director.
What you’ll need:
- Experience of undertaking desk research and an understanding of wider qualitative research methods.
- Excellent written communication, to write briefings and emails.
- The ability to source social media content from key MP’s and political free thinkers.
- You’ll need to be a self-starter who can manage your own time and workload.
- Strong verbal communication; confident speaking on the phone and on video-conferencing (Zoom) to senior PlaceShapers staff and members.
- Strong relationship builder.
- A keen and demonstrable interest in politics.
- A commitment to the values of PlaceShapers and our members.
- Interest in the work of housing associations and working in communities.
How to apply:
Please send us your latest CV and covering letter in one combined document that show us how your experience meets the role profile.
As we usually receive a lot of applications we won’t be able to give individual feedback. If you are successful we will get in touch within seven days after the closing date.
A competitive salary and a wide range of benefits, including generous annual leave, flexible working, cycle to work scheme, a contributory pension and discounted health scheme.
Origin is committed to equality and diversity and values of the communities we work in. We aim to have a workforce that reflects this and encourage applications from all areas of the community.
Closing date: 27th November 2020
Interview date: 14th & 15th December 2020