Housing Allocations Team Leader
Housing Allocations Team Leader
£35,745 - £39,880
Closing Date: 21/05/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
Social and affordable housing is a scarce resource and it is vitally important that it is let in accordance with legislation and agreed local policy. Letting property quickly is also essential for the Council as rents are the major source of income. You will ensure the Council complies with all statutory obligations, requirements and codes of guidance with regards to the allocations scheme and housing register within the provision of Social Housing, and that the correct legal and technical advice is given to all customers and stakeholders. You will support the development of policy within your service area, as well as contributing to wider policy development across the Council. You will support the Allocations Manager to undertake strategic long-term planning, taking into account the managerial, legislative, regulatory and national/regional/local and political context. This means you will work closely with other service areas corporately and with Councillors. You will represent the services at relevant forums, as required by the Allocations Manager as well as on relevant outside bodies, government bodies and other agencies as appropriate to the service. You will have knowledge and/or experience in practical application of the managerial, legislative, regulatory and national/regional/local and political context applicable to the allocation of council properties, nominations to other registered providers. You will have direct line management responsibility for a team of 9-11 staff. You will promote partnership and collaborative working through joined up service delivery, developing and maintaining key relationships with people inside and outside the council, including (but not limited to) other services and directorates, registered providers and private landlords and the voluntary sector. Please note this role has been identified as Home Based, therefore you will be expected to be able to work within your own home for 4 days per week with one day in the Milton Keynes Council Offices.
- Support of the efficient and effective delivery of the Council’s housing register, ensuring the fair and transparent allocation of secure Council housing, nominations to registered providers, mobility schemes and other housing options in line with national regulations and guidance
- Carry out all aspects of staff management including induction, regular 121s, evaluating training needs and nominating for training as necessary
- Line manage and co-ordinate the work of the Allocations Team to deliver a customer focussed service of excellence
- The effective and efficient void management, allocation and letting of Council empty homes and Registered Providers nominated properties
- The provision of advice, guidance and information in relation to accessing council and Registered Provider properties and other available social and private housing initiatives
- Deputise for the Housing Allocations Manager for matters relating to allocations as necessary
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Have a good knowledge and experience of the implementation of Part 6 Housing Act 1996 and the understanding of the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017
- A good understanding of Employment, Equality & Diversity, Health & Safety and other general legislation(s) and policies relevant to the role and the incorporation of the active promotion of a positive Health & Safety culture
- Experience working with both internal and external stakeholders e.g. customers, staff, directors, councillors, Registered landlords and contractors
- The ability to write correspondence and formal reports on complex subjects that are concise and legible to a wide and varied audience.
- The ability to work on own initiative, manage and organise own work, whilst having the ability to actively identify and problem solve
Departmental Benefits of this role
- This role is Home Based, with 4 days at home and one day in the office