Assistant Rent Officer - Part Time
At Lewisham Homes, we believe in building on potential. As an Assistant Rent Officer, your ability to assist in the accounting of all rents across the organisation could have a real impact on people’s lives.
Lewisham Homes is an ambitious not-for-profit organisation focused on improving housing in the borough. As well as managing 19,000 homes on behalf of Lewisham Council. We aim to provide a better experience and more opportunities for residents, communities – and the dedicated people who join our growing team.
As an Assistant Rent Officer, you will be responsible for assisting the Rent and Service Charge Manager in setting and monitoring service charge budgets across the organisation.
If successful the main duties of your role will be:
- Assist with the accounting of rents and service charges. This includes, but not limited to, the prompt and accurate posting of all income receipts to individual customer accounts, the processing of any refunds, write offs and any mis-postings.
- Investigate rent account queries, check daily direct debit reports and liaise with the Income team to make any amendments.
- Administer the tenants home contents insurance and similar schemes ensuring all necessary paperwork is up to date and payments of premiums are made.
- Carry out all relevant administrative functions to set up, close and adjust tenant accounts upon request. This will include acquired and new build properties.
- To co-ordinate and reconcile leaseholder and tenant write offs.
- Check and process any adjustments from the Income, Tenancy, and Customer Services Teams.
- Administer the Right to Buy properties, keeping accurate records.
- Administer the heating and water charges for tenants.
- Any other ad-hoc roles linked to the rent accounting function.
- Assisting in the accurate calculation, construction and issue of all service charges, for tenant and leaseholder properties. This will include both annual revenue charges and major works charges for Lewisham Home’s properties, working with other departments to achieve this.
- Help to ensure that the Rent and Service Charge team provides an excellent customer focused professional service to tenants and leaseholders
- To help provide specialist advice and guidance to colleagues on matters relating to rents and service charges.
- To assist in the statutory consultation in relation to service charges.
- To proactively ensure that the databases and mapping used for the calculation of rents and service charges is up to date, accurate and contains all the relevant information.
- Assist with the preparation of the necessary files, reconciliations and other required documentation for the year end audit and liaise with the auditors
We expect everyone at Lewisham Homes to be eager to learn new skills and to help others. As a major local employer with over 500 staff, we are committed to providing opportunities for personal development, plus flexible and agile working to help us to continue to embrace wellbeing. We also offer benefits including: season ticket loan, 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, health & wellbeing benefits and membership of the local government pension scheme.
This role is currently remote working due to Covid-19. Longer term it will be agile working with some days being office-based.
Please not this role is part time, working on Wednesdays (half day), Thursdays and Fridays .
For more information about Lewisham Homes and this opportunity, please visit our website.