Solicitor – Social Housing
£42,779 per annum inclusive of policy allowance (rising to £45,030 per annum inclusive of policy allowance after 12 months, subject to satisfactory performance
Due to the expansion of our in-house legal team we have an exciting opportunity for a Qualified Solicitor with specialist knowledge of housing law, particularly the Housing Act 1988, Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 and of the Equality Act 2010 to join our friendly and supportive team. We offer a great work/life balance where you will get to enjoy the quality of work of a private practice with the work/life balance of working in-house. You will be part of a team that meets the challenges of a continually evolving organisation which provides exciting opportunities for career development and personal growth.
The Housing Management team within Legal Services provides core legal services to the Group in supporting its mission to build affordable homes and sustainable communities where people choose to live. We support that mission by resolving a variety of housing management issues including tackling anti-social behaviour in our communities and ensuring that our homes are available to those who need them.
The role of Solicitor – Social Housing will include:
- Managing a varied caseload of legal work including possession proceedings largely relying upon the Grounds in Schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988; injunction applications and defending the Group against claims issued against it particularly under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
- Providing legal advice to the Group on housing management related queries and issues
- Line management responsibilities including training and supervision for a Paralegal
- Ensuring that legal services are delivered in a cost-effective way that limit risk to the Group
- Developing and maintaining relations with internal and external stakeholders, ensuring the delivery of a quality service to our customers
- Managing and maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholder
Skills and experiences:
- Educated to Degree level (or equivalent) you will be a Qualified Solicitor or Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives with proven post qualifying experience gained in-house or in a private practice
- A specialist in housing law with comprehensive knowledge of litigation procedure
- An excellent working knowledge of housing law particularly the Housing Act 1988, Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 and of the Equality Act 2010
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to adapt technical legal terms into a format understandable to our customers
- The ability to build strong relationships and influence stakeholders both internally and externally
- Experience of managing a varied caseload and working to deadlines
- Experienced in advising senior managers and staff on legal issues
- Supervisory experience would be desirable
Why work for us?
One of the UK’s leading providers of housing, care and commercial services, Sanctuary Group employs more than 13,000 people and manages over 100,000 units of accommodation throughout England and Scotland, including general rented, retirement living, supported housing, student and key worker accommodation and care homes. Sanctuary also provides a range of other services including maintenance, care and telecare, all of which are delivered by our dedicated employees who are completely committed to customer service.
Ready to join us?
As part of our commitment to making Sanctuary a great place to work, we offer you access to a range of great employee benefits and the opportunity to develop and progress within your career. Benefits include:
- A pension scheme, with matching employer contributions from Sanctuary up to set limits
- 25 days leave (rising to a maximum of 30 days) plus public holidays
- Life assurance
- Health & well-being plans
- Discounted products & services
- Personal advice and counselling
- Family-friendly arrangements
- Tax efficient savings through our Cycle to Work scheme
- Learning and development opportunities
Role salary is £38,890 with an additional policy allowance of £3,889 per annum (rising to £40,937 with an additional policy allowance of £4,093 per annum after 12 months, subject to satisfactory performance)
Closing Date: 6th June 2021
We reserve the right depending on application numbers to close or extend the closing dates for positions; we would therefore recommend an early application.
‘For an insight into what it’s like to work for us, take a look at #LifeatSanctuary on Twitter’