Planned Works Manager
Origin – shaping communities; building lives
Origin exists to make change happen for the good of communities. We help people by providing affordable homes – but that’s not enough. We support vulnerable residents to lead happy and better lives. We empower our staff to take action and rise to every challenge with ‘can do’ positivity.
Good people are the future of our innovative, working community. We have placed a brand new and exciting ‘People’ strategy at the heart of our culture – to support training and personal development, to deliver our values, to move Origin forward.
We describe this new approach as NWOW: New Ways of Working. NWOW is about meeting business outcomes, you’ll enjoy greater autonomy over how you deliver your role, how you manage outputs and when you spend time at work, allowing you to benefit from any productivity gains in the course of delivering your role.
This shift in culture will be built on a mature and mutual relationship of trust between managers and yourselves, ensuring we live up to one of our key values of Build Trust. By working with this new relationship model we can aim toward focusing on ‘outputs’ and not ‘outcomes’. Space is allocated to ‘activities’ and not ‘individuals’ by providing a range of flexible working options that benefit both customers and staff. As a result your work can takes place at the most effective location and at the most effective time. Put simply, flexibility becomes the norm rather than the exception. This is the new Origin Housing way of working.
Our vision for this role
We’re looking for the right person preferably with social housing background to monitor and manage planned works and capital programmes undertaken by contractors on behalf of Origin.
You will be leading on the planned works with a priority-based approach, alongside external contractors and consultants, build and maintain relationships with internal clients and other stakeholders. You will have experience in Contract administration of contractors, including monitoring performance to ensure a high-quality service, and recording and reporting on performance against contractual requirements.
In addition you will be reporting on capital and revenue budgets and preparing management reports while ensuring that the projects comply with all relevant approvals, CDM regulations and statutory requirements, local planning and building regulations.
Leading the development and implementation of communications plans for projects including detailed resident consultations strategies will play a very important part within this role with different tenures in conjunction with internal and external teams.
You will be responsible for validating referrals, providing feasibility studies and design solutions for building maintenance for minor and major works to provide a seamless delivery, ensuring that budgets and resources are optimised to best effect and to drive value for money.
With many of our properties in Camden, you will need to have knowledge of the planning process where buildings are listed or fall within the conservation areas and understand how different buildings have different fire safety requirements.
Knowledge of procurement processes, relevant legislation and best practice, and of how these are applied to construction contracts are essential. Ideally you will have a relevant degree, or equivalent working experience.
We'll support you in gaining professional membership of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) through a variety of mediums, including: RICS-accredited training courses, in-house development schemes, preparation for APC interviews and mentoring.
What you’ll do
This is a rewarding and exciting position within the Asset Management team – responsible for delivering high-quality replacements, cyclical programmes and improvements to our homes ensuring that our properties are well maintained and contribute to the delivery of the Asset Management objectives.
At a glance you:
- Set and manage projects from inception to completion with effective mobilisation on new contracts
- To survey and specify required works, or where necessary manage expert external consultants
- Effective liaison with tenants and leaseholders and the consultation for planned and cyclical programmes of work.
- Ensure accurate information is provided to Leasehold Services to enable statutory Section 20 consultation notices to be issued and all queries resolved
- Working in accordance with changing legislations, as well as the organisations Health & Safety policies and procedures.
- Manage duties in respect of CDM and ensure they are fully met.
- Carry out the role of contract administrator to deliver complex projects and programmes and have an overview of all planned activities that varies from managing contractor performance, certifying contractor valuations and claims, including interim and final account payments
- To provide financial and risk monitoring assessments of allocated projects and report these regularly to the line manager to agree appropriate controls are in place.
- Ensuring that appropriate lessons learnt information is collated and communicated effectively to contractors and Managers to support continuous improvement of services.
- To support the Senior Project Manager and attend management, legal and technical meetings as required.
What you’ll need
- You will need to have ideally 2 years experience in Planned works and managing a Capital Works Project. As well as this the successful candidate must be working towards their RICS accreditation. Collaboration is highly important; you’ll need to demonstrate your experience of managing a team.
- You will need experience of setting up and maintaining successful partnerships while demonstrating a track record in delivering high performance and outcomes.
- Your previous experience in Capital works will allow you to develop and implement action plans and delivering strategies.
- Confidence and good communications skills are essential and will need to be demonstrated across all channels while producing written reports for a variety of stakeholders.
Tell us your story
We are looking forward to learning about you. Please help us get to know you by sending your latest CV and covering letter detailing how your experience meets the role above. To find out more about us simply visit www.originhousing.org.uk
Please note we will be asking for satisfactory references and DBS check. Successful applicants for interview will be contacted within seven days after the closing date.
Benefits for the right person
We reward our people for the work they do. We appreciate commitment, initiative and going the extra mile. At Origin, our comprehensive range of benefits care about the ‘whole’ person. As well as offering you great-to-have discounts, we look after your health and well-being too – personalising your benefits package to you. We offer:
- Access to a range of discounts on services, products and experiences. Not simply picked at random but personalised to you
- Tailor-made Healthcare plans and/or insurance plans – let us know your preference
- An Employee Assistance Programme that supports your well-being and is there to provide valuable help at all times
- A choice of rewards that you choose where to spend
- An Awards recognition scheme that champions individual achievement
- RICS-accredited training, in-house preparation for APC interviews and mentoring.
See our new benefits portal where you can select the options that suit your lifestyle.