Fire and Safety Assessor
Fire and Safety Assessor
The role and person
- 17.5 hours (job share, Wednesday - Friday)
We are recruiting for a Fire and Safety Assessor to join our existing established Homes team.
You will work closely alongside the Fire and Safety Manager, Building Safety Manager and Fire and Safety Assessors in other regions.
As the Fire and Safety Assessor, you will ensure that all fire risk assessments and health & safety inspections within your area are completed and recorded within agreed deadlines.
You will ensure resulting remedial work is completed according to target and you’ll forge strong links with customer safety colleagues and provide fire safety, health & safety and customer safety advice and support to ensure customers are safe and secure in their homes.
Please note, this role will involve some out of hours working and travel across our offices.
As Fire and Safety Assessor a typical week might include:
- Providing a homes safety advisory service to your designated Accent region with the aim of ensuring that our customers are safe and secure in their homes
- Liaising closely with colleagues to ensure that homes safety arrangements are implemented
- Assisting colleagues in understanding their individual homes safety responsibilities, and encouraging a positive safety culture
- Keeping up to date with changing legislation and the likely impact on Accent
- Liaising with managers to ensure the continual development of homes safety (including fire safety) policies, procedures and safe systems of work
- Carrying out an agreed programme of fire risk assessments and Health & Safety inspections in domestic and commercial premises, providing reports in a timely manner
- Ordering and programme managing fire risk assessment and Health & Safety inspection remedial works through to completion, including liaison with contractors, post inspections and fulfilling evidencing portfolio needs
- Ensuring cyclical fire risk assessment, Health & Safety inspections and resultant remedial works activities never fall overdue
- Conducting asbestos survey programme re-inspections where required
- Working with contract management teams to ensure Construction Design and Management (CDM) and Health & Safety construction regulatory obligations are fully met on all appropriate construction works (repair, upkeep, redecoration or other maintenance of buildings and maintenance and repair of mechanical, electrical, gas or similar services which are normally fixed within or to a building)
- Supporting colleagues to hold active and meaningful regional Health & Safety forums
- Where requested by the Health & Safety team, visiting site to investigate accidents, incidents and near misses within your designated region and providing investigation findings
- Assisting in fulfilling Accent obligations under RIDDOR
- Delivering homes safety (including fire safety) training to colleagues and / or contractors
- Ensuring that our customers are safe and receive the best possible service through working in partnership with customer safety colleagues and the Health & Safety Change Manager
- Taking action to ensure that relevant legislative requirements are met, homes safety (including fire safety) best practice is in place and customers are safe and secure
The must haves:
- NEBOSH Certificate in Fire Safety & Risk Management or equivalent fire risk assessment qualification
- NEBOSH National General Certificate
- Experience of auditing, carrying out risk inspections, fire risk assessments and Health & Safety inspections
- Exemplary track record in the delivery of fire risk assessments, Health & Safety inspections and associated remedial works
- A brilliant team player, able to build trust and respect and influence people
- Passionate about putting customers at the heart of all you do, and about inspiring others to do the same
- A collaborative approach to working with colleagues across all areas of the organisation to achieve the best possible outcomes for customers
- Commitment to continuous improvement and ability to drive performance improvement
- Ability to assess risk, spot early warnings and create strategies to prevent risks occurring or minimise the impact of risks materialising
- Open, honest and take ownership of situations
- Able to create healthy partnering relationships with all stakeholders
- Experience of working with external contractors/consultants
- Experience of training development and delivery
- Strong understanding of Construction Design and Management (CDM) regulations (NEBOSH Construction Certificate desirable) and Health & Safety construction obligations in regards to construction works
- Asbestos awareness training to ensure the safe undertaking of asbestos survey programme re-inspections
- HHSRS training
- Strong numeracy, literacy and IT skills
- Full UK driving licence and access to a vehicle for business use
The added extras
- Sector knowledge would be useful, whilst not essential. A strong people focus is what we are looking for.
- A professional qualification related to fire engineering or fire safety would be useful but is not essential.
Due to current circumstances this role will be based remotely. When we are in the position to return to the office this role can be based out of our Burnley office.
You’re able to work from the office listed above, however at Accent we’re a keen promoter of agile working, and encourage the use of working from home as our new way forward.
The spot salary for this post is £16,532 per annum (FTE £33,064) per annum for applicants who fully meet the requirements of the post. Applicants, who do not meet all of the requirements of the post, will start 5% or 10% below the spot salary.
£625 per annum (FTE £1,250) per annum paid monthly (subject to TAX and NI deductions, non-pensionable)
- 28 days paid holiday per year rising by 1 day per year up to a maximum of one working week
- Option to purchase additional holiday of up to 2 of your working weeks (at managers discretion)
- Cycle Scheme
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A choice of salary based contributory pension schemes, a defined benefit scheme or a defined contribution scheme, each offering life assurance cover
Who are Accent?
We own almost 22,000 houses across the North, East and South of the country.
They are home to over 35,000 customers. We exist to improve lives, providing people with high quality homes, affordably. Whatever their housing need, whether family, single, older or more vulnerable – our customers come first. They are always at the very heart of our business.
If you feel great about putting customers first, then we feel great about you joining the Accent team.
And we are a team. We live and breathe our values – we are Smart, we are Driven, we are Caring and we are Inclusive – are you? If you can do what’s right and challenge what you think is wrong, relish the opportunity to work with some fabulous colleagues to improve the customer experience and make sure we keep to our promises, then you are the person we are looking for.
Come and join us and start your own journey with Accent. We aim to be number one, and you could help us get there.