Surveyor (East Region)
Salary: £34,000 - £44,000 per annum + £5,000 car allowance per annum
Location: the role is home based with travel covering area East Anglia, Milton Keynes and North London, there will also be travel to the East Region office in Saffron Walden when required
Hours: 35 hours per week
Hastoe is an award-winning housing association that owns and manages over 7,500 rented, shared ownership and leasehold homes. We hold charitable status and support our communities by providing high-quality and sustainable housing across the south of England.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a surveyor to join our East Region team working on our planned, major and cyclical works programs. Working closely with our Regional Maintenance Surveyors and our external contractors the successful candidate will provide excellent customer service to Hastoe residents while ensuring properties are maintained and repaired to high standards, economically and in accordance with the legal requirements.
The role is home based covering the area including East Anglia, Milton Keynes & North London, with occasional visits to the office near Saffron Walden.
Duties will include:
- Taking the lead as Project Manager and Contract Administrator for each project.
- Preparing specifications, schedules of works and contract documents for tendering by contractors to deliver Hastoe’s planned, cyclical and major works programmes.
- Plan and undertake stock condition inspections to provide high quality data and assist with effective asset management planning.
- Performance monitoring and improvement of the supply chain to meet resident satisfaction.
- Work in partnership with colleagues in responsive repairs picking up repair works, post inspections and satisfaction surveys where required and assisting with more challenging and difficult to diagnose response repair issues.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with contractors, suppliers, residents and other Hastoe departments.
You will need to have good working knowledge of building construction, building regulations and health and safety legislation. You’ll also need:
- Construction or related qualification such as a B-Tech, HNC, HND – currently working towards or a desire to work towards a Professional Qualification such as RICS, RIBA, MCIOB or BSc in Building Surveying.
- Experience of managing projects using term contracts and schedules of rates.
- Understanding of building pathology and ability to diagnose complex building related defects.
- Good report and specification writing.
- Experience of delivering high standards of customer service to all customers, internal and external.
- Aware of regulations concerning fire prevention, legionella and asbestos.
- Experience in using housing management systems (Hastoe use MIS)
- Hold a valid driving licence and have use of your own vehicle.
For more information on the role, please see the job description on our website.
How to apply
Please send your CV, supporting statement and an answer to the question below in less than 500 words to hr by 09:00 Monday 9 August 2021
- You have received four tender returns for a major works project tendered as a JCT Minor Works Contract. Two have mathematical errors and two have qualifications. How would you approach this situation and on what basis would you appoint a contractor?
Please note, CVs sent without a supporting statement will not be considered for shortlisting.
This vacancy may close early if we receive a suitable number of candidates and first interviews may take place during the recruitment drive.
For more information about the role or enquiries about the application process please contact the HR Team at 020 8973 0435.
This post is subject to background checks.
Annual Leave: 25 days (increasing with service up to 28 days) + 1.5 days complimentary leave + option to purchase additional leave.
Pension: Hastoe's employer contributions are based on a matching of your own contribution level plus 2%, up to a maximum of 8%.
Family friendly policies and benefits including:
· Flexible working
· Discounts for local shops, restaurants and gym membership
· Cycle and Car Leasing Scheme
· Employee Assistance Programme (advice service)
· Health Cash Plan (a type of health insurance)