At Lewisham Homes, we believe in building on potential. As a Development Manager, your ability to identify new land and development opportunities and assess the suitability for development in accordance with Lewisham Homes strategic requirements could have a real impact on people’s lives.
Lewisham Homes is an ambitious not-for-profit organisation focused on improving housing in the borough. As well as managing 19,000 homes on behalf of Lewisham Council. We aim to provide a better experience and more opportunities for residents, communities – and the dedicated people who join our growing team.
As a Development Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the Head of New Initiatives in the delivery of infill housing schemes through all aspects of the consultation, design, planning and construction stages to end of defects.
If successful the main duties of your role will be:
- Identify new land and development opportunities and assess the suitability for development in accordance with Lewisham Homes strategic requirements, carrying out options appraisals to assess the suitability and viability of each proposal
- Commission, coordinate, procure and evaluate technical and legal due diligence and consultant teams for land and development opportunities
- Produce project programmes, and monitor and review consultant programmes, to ensure schemes meet target milestones
- Lead and give direction on design, due diligence, resident/community consultation and planning process for new schemes to achieve planning consent, whilst controlling cost, quality, risk and targets are met and leading the consultant team.
- Establish internal project teams to agree design, specification and construction and operational plans.
- Carry out routine and complex financial viability appraisals for development opportunities and update Sequel in relation to budgets, completion and standards
- Lead the preparation and submission of the planning application process to ensure delivery of the Planning Permission within programme milestone requirements.
- Ensure development projects are procured accurately, competitively, efficiently and on time, including supply chain management of developers and consultants, maximising value for money for Lewisham Homes.
- Manage financial viability of all schemes, including regular updates including residential revenue, construction costs, programme, consultant fees, and land costs.
- Ensure measures are in place to forecast, manage and control the programme, cost, design and quality and risk associated with the project. Identify potential risk and mitigation strategies for all schemes
- Lead value engineering workshops and facilitate incorporation into schemes in order to maximise returns.
- Ensure client and company design and technical standards and specifications are robustly delivered throughout the development processes.
- Ensure the design maximises efficiencies, adheres to the project brief and incorporates input from construction, programme and commercial teams.
- Take responsibility for obtaining internal and external project approvals, drafting approval reports for Board and submissions for funding from LB Lewisham
- Ensure scheme viability, construction costs and risks are accurately monitored whilst ensuring that quality standards are being achieved and reported throughout the development process.
- Report to the Head of New Initiatives and Head of Development Delivery on matters in relation to the performance of a project against Lewisham Homes business plan & contract requirements.
- Ensure that health and safety and healthy working conditions are promoted across all projects, operating within the appropriate regulations, with effective oversight of the management of health and safety from on-site contractors and developers.
- Work closely with the Employers Agents, Principal Designer and Clerk of Works in delivering the projects to ensure obligations are met.
- Manage handover to Sales, Housing and Income Collection.
- Manage the procurement and reporting of contractors and ensure that appointed contractors are achieving and maintaining high standards.
- Work collaboratively with external stakeholders, funders, local authority partners and shareholders
- Engage with key stakeholders where required including attendance of public consultations.
- Build and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the Housing sector, housing development, competitors and drivers both locally and in the UK. Keep abreast of policy changes in the sector.
We expect everyone at Lewisham Homes to be eager to learn new skills and to help others. As a major local employer with over 500 staff, we are committed to providing opportunities for personal development, plus flexible and agile working to help us to continue to embrace wellbeing. We also offer benefits including: season ticket loan, 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, health & wellbeing benefits and membership of the local government pension scheme.
Please note this is a Fixed Term Contract role of up to 12 months.
For more information about Lewisham Homes and this opportunity, please visit our website.