Youth Support Worker
Aim of the role
To provide support and empower vulnerable young people to achieve their aspirations and move towards independence.
The youth homelessness crisis is seeing new challenges. COVID19 has exacerbated some of the disadvantages faced by young people and young mothers, with family tensions, loss of jobs & income and mental-ill health being key drivers for homelessness.
Homelessness can significantly impact a young persons transition to adulthood and can significantly impact a young mothers ability to care for their children. The need for youth-specific supported housing, which adapts a trauma informed way of working, is integral to overcoming barriers to independence. Hightown Young Peoples Housing Service believe that every young person has the right to a safe home and the support needed to help them become independent / lead positive fulfilling lives.
**Who we are looking for**
Enthusiastic and caring individuals to join our young peoples housing service in Hemel Hempstead which provides supported accommodation and floating support for young people aged 16-24, including mothers and baby. This is an exciting opportunity to join an enthusiastic team who are determined to help young people reach their potential and move towards independent lives.
We are keen to recruit individuals who care about supporting vulnerable young people to achieve their aspirations and goals, as well as understanding, promoting and embracing our values:
- Putting our residents and service users first
- Treating people withrespect, promoting independence and choice
- Developing passionate and committed teams
- Being cost effectivewithout compromising standards or safety
About the role
- Empowering vulnerable young people (including mother & baby) to lead independent and fulfilling lives with the support of a network of staff, social workers and other professionals
- Be responsible for holding a caseload of young people and be expected to use a positive approach to support them to develop independent living skills such as cooking, cleaning, budgeting andbuilding their confidence so they can move on positively when they turn 18
- Enable them to access meaningful activity such as education, employment, training opportunities and volunteering
- Support them with their physical and emotional wellbeing in order to help them thrive
- Coach them on their rights and responsibilitiesin key areas as well as connect them with the community and other agencies
- Supporting young people and mothers can often be challenging but incredibly rewarding. Patience, compassion, resilience and creativity will be crucial in this role where you can make a difference to a vulnerable young persons life.
- We provide a 24 hour service so you must be able to work shifts as part of a rota system which will include weekend and bank holiday working.
In return for your hard work and commitment, we offer a benefits package which includes:
- Generous annual leave allowance of 33 days per year, including statutory bank holidays, rising to 35 days with service
- £22,095 pa for a 37.5hour a week contract
- Regular support from your line manager and colleagues
- Annual bonus based on satisfactory performance
- Monthly attendance bonus on top of your basic salary
- Annual salary and cost of living review
- Commitment to health and wellbeing with the Five Ways to Wellbeing
- Ongoing professional development and support to deliver outstanding support
- Workplace pension scheme and life assurance of three times your annual salary
- Refer-a-friend scheme: Earn a £130 bonus for each friend you refer to work for us
- Access to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for use at work
- Access to COVID-19 vaccinations
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Employee assistance helpline
- Mileage paid for car usage
Closing Date: Monday 4th October 2021
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search