JOB TITLE: Land Manager
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of New Business
Reporting to the Head of New Business, the role of Land Manager is to expand and promote the company’s existing land bank. This is a big opportunity for an ambitious individual who knows Kent and East Sussex well.
We are a highly reputable Registered Provider (RP) house builder, based out of Tunbridge Wells, whom acquires and develop sites ranging in sizes from 25 units to 200 units.
TCH have significant funding in place with a £50m land bank for sites with or without planning consent and we use the landbank to secure future supply in order to manage the risk of a growing development programme.
As part of the Peabody group, following a merger in May 2019, TCH has the regional strength with the backing of a leading RP developer, secured development finance and established track record of major site delivery.
The Land Manager will be pivotal in securing the pipeline of projects to achieve TCH’s target of 800 homes per annum, with a split of at least 200+ private sale homes to complement the affordable housing provision.
The Land Manager will be responsible for procuring land and securing planning consent, typically handing over the project at this stage to New Business Manager’s whom will focus on procurement and pre-start before commencing on site.
This is an opportunity to work within a vibrant team, on a varied and flexible development programme across a wide geographic area. This role will provide the great opportunity for career progression and the ability to work alongside talented individuals, making a real difference to housing delivery in Kent.
Key Performance Indicators:
- A wide network of agents, landowners, local authorities, public and strategic landowners, developers and housebuilders is established and maintained.
- Sufficient suitable land, acquisition and development opportunities – including ‘off-market’ opportunities – are identified to maintain a constant Land bank pipeline.
- Land bank projects are progressed into contract and out of the land bank within programme timetables.
- Sufficient suitable opportunities are secured to meet programme targets.
- Financial indicators show that schemes are being managed within agreed metrics.
- The identification of new land opportunities and negotiation of legal agreements on appropriate terms.
- Landbank managed, with sites progressed through acquisition, planning and pre-contract.
- Acting as lead bidder on public procurements plus sourcing of joint venture partners for joint bidding opportunities.
- Liaison with landowners over progress on site promotion.
- Responsibility for the renewal/extension of options.
- Input into the production of developer collaboration agreements.
- The monitoring of competitor activity.
- Community engagement on site promotions and planning applications.
- Management of planning and acquisition activity to deliver key targets in priority areas of search.
- Taking ownership of project viability and delivery.
- Production of monthly progress reports on the landbank and key projects.
- Produce and manage budgets and professional fees.
- Achieve internal board approvals as necessary.
- Building and maintaining a broad range of contacts in the land market.
- Management of fee spend in line with budget forecasts and approvals.
- Work closely with Delivery and New Business colleagues to ensure a smooth handover of schemes at the appropriate time.
- Work closely with Sales and Marketing to ensure schemes have their support, and that we are maximising sales returns and profitability.
- Risk is fully assessed, and a full risk register can be passed onto NBM/PM. Focus on identification, mitigation and management of risk.
- Relevant consultants are appointed and briefed to deliver schemes.
- Comprehensive records are kept ensuring there is an audit trail of the process and procedures followed.
- To adhere to the Group’s equal opportunities policy and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible.
- Recognise, respect and promote the different roles and diversity of the individuals within the Group.
- To actively contribute towards the Group’s key performance indicators and professional standards.
- Work in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and Data Protection Law and be responsible for the integrity of personal information you process. This may include identifying anomalies in data and investigating and correcting them where appropriate. Ensure you attend training on data protection regularly.
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and relevant EC directives
- To take responsibility for your own development and professionalism, ensuring that you keep up to date with new developments and continuously expand and build on your knowledge
- Attend and participate in training and other meetings and staff events as required
- Be an effective member of your team, presenting a positive impression of your section and the Group
- This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required. It is not comprehensive, and it is expected that other duties will be undertaken as this role develops and as may be reasonably expected
These objectives are meant as a general guide and are not exhaustive, other duties may be required.
Essential or Desirable
Education and Qualifications
- RICS accreditation
- Degree qualified with a property related qualification
- Proof of continuous professional development
Knowledge and Experience
- Commercial awareness and knowledge of both private sector and affordable housing development
- A strong track record of identifying and securing new land opportunities
- Experience of negotiating partnership arrangements including joint ventures
- Experience of leading and managing bid teams
- Experience of Pre-contract
- Proven ability in securing residential planning consents and reserved matters approvals
- Advanced level understanding and proficiency in financial appraisals
- Able to negotiate legal terms
Behaviours and Skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to be able to focus and achieve targets
- Ability to work within a team
- Ability to drive and use a car for business purposes.