One Manchester is an innovative provider of housing and community services. Formed in April 2015 from a historic merger between two of Manchester’s largest housing associations – City South and Eastlands Homes. It currently owns and manages more than 12,000 homes in central, south and east Manchester.
At One Manchester, they are passionate about working together to improve lives and help neighbourhoods thrive. They see the difference their work makes in the city and they work together to support their customers and their wellbeing.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Head of Governance will be a key figure in the organisation and will be responsible for working with the Board, Executive, and wider teams to ensure appropriate governance is in place and adhered to. The successful candidate, as Company Secretary, will also be responsible for ensuring One Manchester meets their corporate and legal obligations.
- To undertake the role of Company Secretary, ensuring One Manchester's compliance with its rules and other constitutional documents. Also, that the Board is well informed about the organisation, its strategy, and the Housing sector and that it has a good understanding of its responsibilities to the organisation.
- To be the lead governance and regulation professional within One Manchester and oversee a team responsible for business administration, risk management, internal audit, and data protection.
- Responsible for strategic procurement, ensuring compliance and recommending the most effective procurement routes.
- Ensure One Manchester maintains a robust control environment around anti-money laundering and all key business risk areas are aware of their internal monitoring and reporting requirements. Responsible for compiling suspicious activity reports and liaising with the National Crime Authority.
- To manage and implement, with the EMT and Board, the requirements of the Regulator of Social Housing’s published regulatory framework (stress testing, assets and liabilities, governance, financial viability and consumer standards) to ensure that they are met and are fit for purpose across the organisation and that the requirements continue to be fully met in the organisation’s changing and complex future aims.
- To support the CFO and EMT, to lead the development and implementation of the Corporate Plan, ensuring collaboration with the Director of Strategy and Partnerships as appropriate, to collate the objectives, and governance plans to meet OM’s ambitions at the same time as meeting its external statutory and regulatory obligations and internal performance targets.
- An effective enterprise-wide risk management framework is in place that enables the identification, management and reporting of key risks to the delivery of One Manchester's strategic objectives.
- Ensure that the Board sets its risk appetite, and that One Manchester operates within its risk appetite parameters and sets appropriate controls (e.g. new build parameters) to achieve this.
- Support the delivery of the business assurance programme, together with development and implementation of the internal audit programme and the reporting of audit outcomes to the Audit and Risk Committee and support the work of the Audit and Risk Committee, in association with the Chief Financial Officer; report to the EMT/Board/relevant committees on recommendations for innovation and improvement.
- Experience of working at a senior level with Boards, Committees and Executive teams
- Understanding of the interdependencies and relationships of strategy, policy, governance, risk, and operations and to external stakeholders to maintain high level of business assurance in internal areas.
- A strong track record of leading a customer-focussed organisation as a company secretary
- Comprehensive experience and understanding of good governance, developing, and transforming governance frameworks.
- Proof of operating at a senior manager level with ability to influence and negotiate with customers, stakeholders, and other partners.
- Can prove knowledge of delivering strategies into operational outputs whilst working collaboratively in a busy team and cross functional business areas.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners.