Origin – shaping communities; building lives
Origin exists to make change happen for the good of communities. We help people by providing affordable homes – but that’s not enough. We support vulnerable residents to lead happy and better lives. We empower our staff to take action and rise to every challenge with ‘can do’ positivity.
Good people are the future of our innovative, working community. We have placed a brand new and exciting ‘People’ strategy at the heart of our culture – to support training and personal development, to deliver our values, to move Origin forward.
We describe this new approach as NWOW: New Ways of Working. NWOW is about meeting business outcomes, you’ll enjoy greater autonomy over how you deliver your role, how you manage outputs and when you spend time at work, allowing you to benefit from any productivity gains in the course of delivering your role.
This shift in culture will be built on a mature and mutual relationship of trust between managers and yourselves, ensuring we live up to one of our key values of Build Trust. By working with this new relationship model we can aim toward focusing on ‘outputs’ and not ‘outcomes’. Space is allocated to ‘activities’ and not ‘individuals’ by providing a range of flexible working options that benefit both customers and staff. As a result your work can takes place at the most effective location and at the most effective time. Put simply, flexibility becomes the norm rather than the exception. This is the new Origin Housing way of working.
Our vision for this role
We’re looking for the right person to support the development of Safety Case reviews and digital records as detailed within the Building Safety Bill, prepare safety case reports for the regulator and ensure that buildings remain compliant to and meet license requirements. The ideal candidate will have experience of managing intrusive surveys and inspecting fire measures in residential buildings.
You will provide technical advice to the Building Safety Team and review maintenance services to buildings in scope according to the Building Safety Bill and other requirements sets out by the government. You will be required to review proposals for works and working practices to ensure buildings are well maintained and that fire safety and structural integrity are not compromised.
Confirm that proposed works provide adequate fire stopping measures to ensure compartmentation is maintained to the required standards and that contractors apply the appropriate levels of competency. Compile written reports that provide detailed information on any areas of non-compliance, provide recommendations clearly citing the relevant regulations, British Standards and or guidance in order to maintain license requirements for high rise residential buildings. Regular attendance on site is required to ensure works are reviewed. Any urgent issues are to be reported to the Building Safety Manager. What you’ll do
This is a rewarding and exciting position – responsible for building relationships and trust both internally within your Origin team and externally with the community you serve.
At a glance you will:
Take the lead
- Implementing strategies required to achieve safety throughout the building and reporting back to the Building Safety Management team when safety management or maintenance functions are not adequate.
- Understand any statutory or manufacturers requirements for testing and maintaining fire prevention and protection systems to ensure they operate correctly.
- Produce concise reports as required for properties ensuring identified actions are completed through follow up post inspections.
Give your time
• Assist in ensuring our properties are safe by design and in construction in relation to fire safety matters allowing safe use and occupation.
• Provide technical support in Working Groups and Task Teams on all matters of reactive and planned preventative maintenance ensuring appropriateness of decisions for compliance against standards on all buildings in scope.
Bring people together
Required to provide technical support, advice and guidance on all areas of the Safer Future Programme that apply to Origin buildings and other projects or queries as they arise.
Come forward with a can-do attitude
- Encourage and support Origin residents to maintain good housekeeping and fire safety practices.
• Support in the review and management of sub-contractors including assessing their competency.
What you’ll need
- Degree in Surveying or similar equivalent qualification.
- MRICS or equivalent. Member of RICS, CABE, CIOB, CQI, ICWCI, MIFireE
- Experience and knowledge of methods of construction within the last 3-4 years
- Up to date knowledge of Health & Safety and other legislation relevant to the role and building management.
- In depth knowledge of Schedule of Rates and methods of measurement
- Have a driving license and access to vehicle to complete works around London and Hertfordshire.
Tell us your story
We are looking forward to learning about you. Please help us get to know you by sending your latest CV and covering letter detailing how your experience meets the role above. To find out more about us simply visit www.originhousing.org.uk
Please note we will be asking for satisfactory references and DBS check. Successful applicants for interview will be contacted within seven days after the closing date.
Benefits for the right person
We reward our people for the work they do. We appreciate commitment, initiative and going the extra mile. At Origin, our comprehensive range of benefits care about the ‘whole’ person. As well as offering you great-to-have discounts, we look after your health and well-being too – personalising your benefits package to you. We offer:
- Access to a range of discounts on services, products and experiences. Not simply picked at random but personalised to you
- Tailor-made Healthcare plans and/or insurance plans – let us know your preference
- An Employee Assistance Programme that supports your well-being and is there to provide valuable help at all times
- A choice of rewards that you choose where to spend
- An Awards recognition scheme that champions individual achievement
See our new benefits portal where you can select the options that suit your lifestyle.