Do you want to support thousands of people around the UK, by helping them have a stable, affordable home?
We are recruiting for a dynamic, Head of Property Portfolio to lead on the management of our growing portfolio of “ordinary homes on ordinary streets” across the UK that are leased to leading Social Housing Providers. Our social impact property investment funds look to tackle something that we are passionate about – helping to provide safe, affordable, and secure homes to several tenant groups, including people at risk of homelessness, vulnerable women and individuals with a learning disability.
Resonance is a Social Impact Property Fund Manager that is transforming the relationship between private investment and social good, and to help us, we are looking for a dynamic Head of Property Portfolio to join our growing, friendly team. You’ll help us build on our success to date by continuing to deliver our growing pioneering Social Impact Property Investment Funds.
You’ll benefit from a competitive salary and hybrid working. You can be based in either of our Manchester or London offices, you will be required to attend the office for part of the week as part of your team, the rest of the week you are able to work from home.
Working Days: Monday to Friday
Hours: 37.5 full time (permanent)
£47,500 to £52,500 per annum (London weighting added if London based)
Responsible to: Managing Director of Property Funds
Here’s why we need you (purpose)
This is an important role for us, as the person we want to join us will play a key part in managing our growing portfolio of residential homes across the UK (currently c 1,000 and growing) which are owned by our Private Rented Sector (PRS) social impact property investment funds which we manage on behalf of our social impact investors.
At Resonance we currently have 7 funds totalling c £300m which buy “ordinary homes on ordinary streets” which are then leased to leading Social Housing Providers and in your role, you will work with these inspirational organisations who are on the frontline of helping vulnerable people across the UK.
This role is instrumental in ensuring all aspects of our portfolio of homes are managed in a way that allows us to continue to deliver social outcomes for our tenants whilst providing an appropriate return to our impact investors. Our Housing Providers are absolutely fundamental to this as they take on the day-to-day management of the tenant and the repair and maintenance of the property (albeit the fund is responsible for any major repair and maintenance).
Here’s what you’ll do for us (responsibilities):
- Lead on the overall ownership of the property portfolio which includes the development of a property portfolio “dashboard” using our internal portfolio management software (Salesforce) to ensure the business continues to accurately capture and report on all aspects of the property portfolio to internal and external stakeholders (including KPIs for the property portfolio versus industry benchmarks).
- Lead on ensuring the homes we have with our family of Housing Providers are fit for purpose for our tenants which includes ensuring homes remain health and safety compliant, condition of homes is maintained and management of any major repair and maintenance required (day to day repair and maintenance is the responsibility of our Housing Providers).
- Lead on developing and implementing our environmental strategy for the portfolio in the context of Net Zero.
- Lead on managing the cashflow projections (in partnership with our finance team) for each portfolio under management to ensure cash is managed in a prudent way to ensure investors distributions are delivered in line with our targets (this includes the development and implementation of our long-term cycle of major capex replacement within our homes).
- Lead on the formal valuations of our property funds (currently 7 funds valued every 6 months) which involves liaising with our independent valuer for our funds and analysing performance versus the wider property market.
- Lead on managing all legal aspects of our portfolio including ensuring leases between our funds and Housing Providers are put in place in a timely manner (and compliance of these leases is monitored) managing the relationships with our leaseholders which includes managing Section 20s, ensuring building insurance is in place, lease extensions are negotiated, and service charges are paid.
- Lead on managing and developing a small team of 3 people within the portfolio management team.
- Support Fund Managers around reporting to our investors which includes annual social impact reporting, quarterly investors reports, bi-annual valuations and a number of investors meetings (eg AGMs and Advisory Committees).
- Utilising your transferable skills to work alongside your fellow members of the property funds leadership team in support of the wider property fund business.
- Participate in meetings, conferences and events led or attended by key stakeholders or potential partners in the sector.
Here’s what we will do for you (benefits):
As well as working for an innovative, growing business with a strong social purpose and lots of variety and opportunity, we offer a competitive remuneration package, a hybrid working environment and a committed team to become part of. The role will provide you with the opportunity to work in a business that is pioneering and changing the face of investment in the UK.
Who you’ll be working with (internal):
Property Fund Managers, Head of Property Acquisitions, Head of Property Development, Finance team and Communications team.
Who you’ll be working with (external):
You’ll be working with our Social Housing Providers, our pool of impact investors and other third-party providers and consultants to our funds including our valuation firm, our law firm, our conveyancing firm, our environmental consultancy firm, our freeholders, our social impact consultancy firm and our building contractors.
Resonance is looking to hire someone who has a deep understanding of residential property (freehold and leasehold) and is motivated by delivering social impact property investment funds to house a range of vulnerable people throughout the UK.
What we want you to bring to us:
- Fully subscribes to Resonance’s purpose and vision, mission, values.
- A solutions finder; able to think creatively to identify and implement opportunities even if this requires modifications to the initial proposal.
- A team player; working with people in and outside of the organization to get the job done.
- Resilient; capable of maintaining motivation and focus despite setbacks.
- Strong on execution; able to bring together and orchestrate numerous moving pieces and drive things forward in order to get the project delivered.
- Socially motivated; not “in it for themselves” but still highly skilled in shaping commercial solutions to best fit the social goals of client enterprises.
- Empathetic in seeing the other side of the story and yet also holding people to account.
Essential experience and skills:
- Experience within the housing and support sector
- Experience of working with external third-party providers.
- Highly professional and ethical approach in representing the company and marketing its products.
- Strong networking, interpersonal, and influencing skills. Builds relationships with partners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Strong financial analysis skills. Likes working with data to generate analysis which guides decisions and makes things happen.
- Attention to detail but capable of retaining a view of the big picture – able to quickly review complex documents and spot detail, whilst drawing overall conclusions.
- Highly organised – enjoys seeing large and complex processes working efficiently and knows how to design new ones / fine tune existing.
- Able to work independently and demonstrate initiative and tenacity in seeing tasks or projects through to conclusion.
- Willing to travel within the UK and work with colleagues in multiple locations using appropriate communications technology.
- Enjoy rolling your sleeves up and getting stuck in – do whatever it takes to get the job done.
Desirable (but not essential) experience and skills:
- Qualified property surveyor
- Knowledge of social investment sector
- Residential property leasing experience
- Specialist knowledge of environmental regulation and technology for property
- Property development experience
- Knowledge and understanding of FCA Regulations
- Other relevant professional qualification
What it feels like to work here (environment):
Resonance is a leader in social impact investing and a growing company, so you’ll need to enjoy working in a fast-paced work environment with a friendly and supportive team. This role will need you to work with colleagues and partners at various locations in the UK, so you must be comfortable with some travel.
To apply for this unique position, please send us your CV with a covering letter that answers the following questions;
- why would you like to work for Resonance?
- how you think you could make a difference in the work we do?
- what skills and experience will you bring to the Resonance team?
We look forward to hearing from you.