PQS - Senior Quantity Surveyor
Salary: Up to £64,375 + Essential Car User Allowance
Location Peterborough / Home-Based
Full time – Permanent – 37 hours per week (Mon-Fri)
Our internal QS team is expanding due to continued growth and development of the organisation!
We are looking for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join us to ensure that CKH is able to deliver an effective Employer’s Agent service for the business in line with the corporate plan. The successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking financial appraisals of tenders for schemes, all pre and post contract work for projects and managing the scope of works to name but a few.
The ideal candidate will need to be MRICS qualified and have demonstrable post-qualification experience in order to help support the development of the team. In addition, the ideal candidate must be proficient in completing valuations, payment notices and cost reports.
The role will be predominately home-based but frequent travel to our sites will be required which is usually within a 1-hour commute from Peterborough.
We are looking for someone
- To assist the development of Quantity Surveyors and Assistant Quantity Surveyors throughout the pre and post contract phases of all projects.
- To maintain and update CKH’s reporting systems for identifying and analysing key data such as plot handover information, plot and project progress, estimated final costs and other key metrics for all of the CKH new build development programme.
- To maintain a robust document management system for evidencing control and reporting on individual new build schemes for financial performance and quality and compliance with the contract.
- Manage stakeholders, chairing monthly project meetings, and reporting on progress and programme.
- To undertake pre/post tender documentation and evaluation.
- To undertake financial appraisals of tenders for schemes and undertaking financial forecasts.
- To advise on project procurement routes in line with standard practices.
- To produce all contractual documentation and awarding of contracts to contractors.
- To oversee the administration of large scale complex building contracts, pro-actively managing and confirming the compliance of contractors/consultants to ensure contract terms and conditions are met.
- To manage claims and mitigating costs for development schemes.
- To manage contract scope including cost variations, schedules of works, quality of projects, construction progress and contractors’ claims.
- To manage the presentation of certificates for all interim payments to the contractor, issuing all instructions to the contractor. Authorising payment notices to Contractors and liaising with the Finance Team to ensure that the payment process is robust and only authorised signatories are included on Payment Notices.
- To issue and establish monthly valuations and cost forecasts
- To negotiate and produce final accounts for payment by the client.
- To support and mentor the team as part of their career progression towards the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC), ensuring all employees have sufficient training for the Employer’s Agent in their role as RICS Counsellor, to sign off the Assistant Quantity Surveyor’s record of experience.
- To support and assist the managing QS with line management duties as and when required. This may involve but not limited to line management of apprentices and supporting with recruitment and interview processes.
- BSc (Hons) in Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management or similar OR;
- MSc in Quantity Surveying
- Significant experience of employer's agent/quantity surveying role for major new build housing schemes.
- Experience of producing reports on a monthly basis relating to project deliverables
- Experience of programme analysis, interrogation, interpretation and client reporting.
- Experience to include interpretation of contracts, design and implementation of change management, resolution of contractual disputes, design and implementation of project controls, contract correspondence and financial close of contracts.
- Experience of writing contract specifications and bills of quantities and the pre and post tender documentation and procurement processes and evaluation of tenders.
- Strong knowledge and use of document management systems to aid efficient service delivery.
- Detailed knowledge of new build contractual arrangements and section 106 agreements working with social landlords, developers and local authorities.
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Highly skilled in contract negotiation
- Self-starter and pro-active approach
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- A flexible attitude to be able to respond to the needs of the business
- Excellent financial cost control skills and ability to communicate the financial position of contract to stakeholders and clients on a monthly basis
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- A clear DBS check will be required for this role
- A full UK driving license and access to a suitable vehicle for work purposes
A commercial business with a social heart, our vision is to create opportunities that change lives through our drive, expertise, resources and passion.
Our dynamic approach has made us one of the region’s leading providers of affordable homes for rent and sale. Developing new homes across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, and the surrounding area, we’re committed to increasing the supply of affordable homes in the communities where they are needed most. Agility and innovation are central to our approach to adapting to change, and we’ll continue to grow our business in today’s fast-paced operating environment.
There’s more to building communities than building houses. In addition to providing quality homes and delivering excellent landlord services, we also provide care at home and at our two extra care communities in Peterborough as well as around the clock support through our LifeLine personal alarm service. Our community investment programme sees us working with specialist partners to bring a range of employment, wellbeing and family-friendly services to the heart of our communities, with a rapidly expanding digital support offer too.