About the role
We currently have an opportunity for a part time (30hrs) Support Worker to join our Homeless shelter in St Albans which provides 12 bedrooms for those in need.There is support onsite for help and advice with housing, employment and welfare issues.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has experience of providing support to vulnerable people
- Provided advice, guidance and support to homeless individuals
- Positively engage with and sustain appropriate relationships with individuals who are often unwilling to engage with services
- Deliver practical housing related support through structured link work
- Work on own initiative and as a part of a team
- Act calmly and respond professionally in stressful and difficult situations
- All Shifts are 2pm to 10pm on a rolling rota.
We welcome applications from people who have experienced homelessness. Open Door Homelessness Service works with people who are at risk of sleeping and living on the streets.
The service provides overnight accommodation for up to 12 individuals and a day-time drop in service for people in housing need.
Changing the Lives of Homeless People
`Hello there, my name is Jamie. I became homeless about a year ago after losing my job, family and home, everything spiralled out of control. It was difficult for me; I had always been independent, making my own money, providing for my family... I never ever thought that this could happen to me. I didn`t know where to turn to get help. I heard about Open Door, went to the drop- in and that was the first step to getting my life back on track. I stayed in the night shelter and received 1 to 1 support and advice from the support staff I now feel confident about moving forward with my life."
If you think you could support Jamie to achieve a more settled life then you could be the right person for this role!
In return for your hard work and commitment to our service users, we offer a considerable benefits package. This includes:
- Generous annual leave allowance of 33 days per year, including statutory bank holidays, rising to 35 days with service
- £18,204 pa (£11.67 per hour)
- Regular support from your line manager and colleagues
- Annual bonus based on satisfactory performance
- Monthly attendance bonus on top of your basic salary
- Annual salary and cost of living review
- Commitment to health and wellbeing with the Five Ways to Wellbeing
- Ongoing professional development and support to deliver outstanding support
- Workplace pension scheme and life assurance of three times your annual salary
- Refer-a-friend scheme: Earn a £130 bonus for each friend you refer to work for us
- Access to Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for use at work
- Access to COVID-19 vaccinations
- Friendly and supportive team environment
- Employee assistance helpline
- Mileage paid for car usage
How to Apply
Please see below for a copy of the Support Worker job description.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.
To stay safe in your job search we recommend that you visit SAFERjobs, a non-profit, joint industry and law enforcement organisation working to combat job scams. Visit the SAFERjobs website for information on common scams and to get free, expert advice for a safer job search.